Author Topic: Pro's in SE PA?  (Read 5146 times)

MtDent

Pro's in SE PA?
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:44 am »
I know there have been countless posts of people asking if there are people willing to teach them near to where they are but from my searching (in my limited amount of time), I haven't come across anybody in south east PA or thereabouts. So, I pose my question: is there a bowyer willing to teach me, an inexperienced teenager, the craft in the southeast area or within a 2 or so hour drive? Much appreciated. I'm 17 and I have shot bows before but I'm probably one of the most inexperienced guys in the forums here. Thanks again for your time and good shooting! :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Pro's in SE PA?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:01:42 am »
Good luck on your search,should be someone around that area,I would be glad to ,but a little far away. ;) Buy some books and get at it,that is how a lot of us learned before these type forums were around. :)Some of us before books were around. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:36 am »
Your on the wrong side of the state....besides,im no pro anyways

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:00 am »
Ya right. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:16:06 am »
Art Butner is in W Va.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

MtDent

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:31:49 am »
Honestly I just need someone to teach me the basics and I can work from there. I could branch out and get more experience from there by myself. But thanks y'all!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
I agree with Pappy. I don't really have anyone near me to teach or tutor me, but there is plenty of knowledge to be learned on this and other sites with plenty of great folks willing to help when you run into a problem. I just started doing this last fall by making bows from boards and have learned a lot. Everything I know about bow building (which is not a lot :) ), I learned from reading build-a-longs and asking questions. I'm currently waiting on some staves to dry, and hopefully by the time they are, I will have enough experience to be ready to work on a stave.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »
Not sure how far it is, but I am in Northern Westchester - NY - I would be happy to show you the ropes - although I am not a pro by any measure. 

Russ

Offline Big A

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »
I read the books to get started. But there is nothing like spending a day or two with someone who can bring what you read to life. Wish you were closer to Twin Oaks. We do that stuff all the time.
Big A

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:30 pm »
Youtube is free, Its almost as good as having someone teach you...Its how I got started...just spent hours watching vids of guys making them and found one I wanted to build and built it.

Don't think about it too much, keep it light, and go slow.

my first bow was boarriorbows' "longbow for under $10", Billy Berger(primitivepathways) makes a simple osage with only a rasp, johnjayrambo uses only a knife to make some of his bows, You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.

Here's a list of a few guys who do build alongs....
 Boarriorbows, Paleoaleo, wildernessoutfitters, primitivepathways. jackcrafty, trapperjacksurvival, BCGROVER does awesome bows, turbodog061188, mxred91
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »
As a suggestion, instead of just looking for a 'PRO', look for anyone. Sometimes getting a 'bow buddy' at the same level is all you need. You can discuss (argue), console, help each other.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »
i built my first bow useing an old Outdoor Sports article i found online, then the tradgang forum for a bit till i found p.a., witch was the perfect site for me, you'll make shooters and make firewood also, but ton's 'o fun doing it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

MtDent

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »
Sorry, maybe "pro" wasn't the best way to word that  :P apologies. I just wanted someone to be able to teach me the basics of it. ie finding and preparing wood, basic shape and wood working, etc. But thanks for the advice from everybody! I wanted to get a book (or a thousand  :P ) but I don't have any money as of right now. I'm working on it though!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »
Most libraries have the TBB books. Or check on inter-library loan.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »
The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles volume 1 and 2, Youtube, and this website should give you enough information to build your first bow.  Good luck.  Stick with Primitive Archer!  This site is blessed with some real artisans who are happy to help. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi