Author Topic: ideal arrow plan.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

ideal arrow plan.
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:18 am »
Ok, I'm going to make some arrows for that shortie I made.  I'm sick of having all different arrows.  The bow draws to 24".  I have some lower spine garden sticks in bamboo BUT they will be shorter than my spine tester so I have no idea what they are.  I reduced the bow weight from 65# to about 58#. 

Is there an ideal weight and length?  I'm thinking I'll put bird points on them and goose fletching.  I haven't decided if I'll use detachable foreshafts or solid arrows.  I'm guessing solid.  Probably striaght fletch.

Intended targets will be small game and turkey.  Possibly deer but doubtful.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ideal arrow plan.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:47 am »
I draw 26" and prefer 29" to 30" arrows no matter what. Find some of your old arrows that will shoot well from this bow and duplicate or use them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:46 am »
Ok then  as simle as that.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:19 pm »
I do what Pat does.  ;) ;D Yep it is that simple. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »
Boo will shoot from just aboout anything regardless of spine. I question if they are even spined to begin with. I have shot them from 40-60# bows that ranged from 25-29" draws. It never mattered so I do as Pappy and Pat do. Cut them to 29.5" and let em' rip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »
There aren't any good sources for spining short arrows like there are for longer arrows.  You will have to experiment and spine your arrows by shooting.  When you find one that shoots perfect, then you can duplicate that arrow.  However, even when you think you have all the characteristics duplicated, some of the duplicate arrows will not fly as well as the first one.  That's OK.  Just make sure you've made enough to give you a good set of arrows that will work to your satisfaction.

As for arrow speed, there are many factors that I can tell you about that will help make your arrows fly faster but some of the hints will not work because every bow is different.  In general, arrows that extend past the bow at full draw will be easier to shoot accurately, especially at 24" draw and under.  Also, a low brace height will give your arrows more speed but you'll need to protect your wrist from string slap.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:18:33 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »
You can do as the above experts say.. But I just want to add my two cents. For my short bows, most of m self bows are... I make arrows that are 24" to the base of the point, so that I know when to stop pulling.. These arrows weigh in the 500 grain range and fly just as straight and accurately as longer arrows IMHO... I use large fletching (5" shield cut) and heavy points however to reduce spine some since the arrows are so short...

Jon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:34 am »
It seems like the common consensus is play with different arrows. 

Actualy some of those in the video were fine.  I figured it would get better if I had an arrow that was shorter and better matched to the bow.

Several have said longer.  At first I thought I'd need to make short arrows to know when to stop pulling but I'm not sure that will be necessary.

What happen when a bamboo arrow is too far under spine weight?