Author Topic: Osage stave - What to do?  (Read 4360 times)

Offline BobinTN

Osage stave - What to do?
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »
I have a bow stave that is about 70" in length.  At 52" there is a big knot that turns into a propellar twist with a change in angle of about 15 Deg.

Can I make a 52" osage long bow if I back it with sinew? or is it just to darn short in length?

I am an advanced novice.  Made about 3 working osage bows.  Have not done it in about 6 years though.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage stave - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:10 pm »
I've had my best luck with ugly ol' knots like that if I can get 'em closer to the center of the limb.  And that's center of the measurement from tip to fadeout and center of the two edges. 

When the sun is low on the horizon, take that stave out in the fresh air and point it into the sun.  Now start following the grain lines up and down the stave with a sharp pencil.  Put your first line down the center of the stave and the next two about 3/4 of an inch on either side of that one.  That way you can stand back and scratch your head figuring out where the bow actually lies in that chunk of wood.  I think there is one in there somewheres. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:44 am »
like JW, said .....i would also super glue that knot real good too. if it gives you trouble you can always rawhide it  >:D
Shawn Acker

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:39 am »
depending on the required draw length with the desired weight, I would go for the 52" shorty bending handle bow.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:54 am »
depending on the required draw length with the desired weight, I would go for the 52" shorty bending handle bow.

That would be my vote too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:35 am »
How many bows have you built? That will make a difference in the suggestions you get. For a first timer I like JW's suggestions the most.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 07:56:53 am »
What JW /Pat said. definitely a bow in there somewhere. :) I see you are from TN.
What part ? You could get some good help and advice next week if you are close to Clarksville. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BobinTN

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I will follow JW's advice first and take it out and put some lines down it's length.

then re-evaluate.

If I chose to cut it down to 52".  could I build a 'bend-thru-the-handle' bow pulling 50# @ 27"?  What about with sinew backing?

Hey Pappy.  You know me.  I live in Clarksville and am that TTAS guy that shows up every now and then.  I plan on making it by for the Classic (at least a couple of hours).  If I have not ruined the stave by then (when you got the fever, you can't stop yourself) I will bring it on down.  Thanks for the offer.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:09 am »
Thought maybe that might be you,wasn't sure. I didn't know you was interested in selfbows,great.See ya in a week.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:52 am »
If I chose to cut it down to 52".  could I build a 'bend-thru-the-handle' bow pulling 50# @ 27"?  What about with sinew backing?

Check out this little beauty made by George. I think that will answer your question.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29229.45.html

Offline BobinTN

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:32 pm »
Bevan;

Yes it does answer my question.  I have everything I need, except maybe the talent.

I will ponder this one for awhile.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »
The only way to get 'talent' is to jump in and try! And remember, you have a very large, strong and diverse support group backing you up.

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:06 pm »
I'd vote for a short bow out of that stave too. That knot is in an awkward spot...
Osage is great for making short and fast bows.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
That knot does knot scare me one bit.  ;)  you can make it full length, and just bend it at the handle section with heat to align your string tracking....easy peasy ;)

Just take her on down to the classic for the day man....theres gonna be a lot of the countries best natural materials bow builders there who are more than willing to share there info with you if you wanna pick there brains...just pick away man.