Author Topic: 12" Craftsman Bandsaw  (Read 16424 times)

Offline nlester

12" Craftsman Bandsaw
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »
I found a deal on an older 12" Craftsman bandsaw.  Question:  Is it capable of helping me rough out osage staves?  Any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline Bevan R.

Re: 12" Craftsman Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
Should be OK with a good blade. Check the HP on the motor. some bandsaws are a little underpowered.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:13:26 pm »
I have a 12" craftsman, with 1/2hp motor, and it is fine up to about 3" thick.  I tried to use it to resaw some 8/4 walnut at 4" thick, and that was a no go.   Thickest osage I've run through it has been 2" board, and it does just fine there.

Mike

Offline nlester

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »
Sounds like it might work then.  It sure would save a lot of time if I had a bandsaw at my house.  Thanks for the info.  Anyone else have anything to add, I'd a appreciate it.  Thanks again

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:54 pm »
I have an older 12" craftsman.  It is way underpowered.  The HP is listed as 1 1/8 "max developed HP" in big letters on the front.  The motor tag also attempts to hide the underpower rating by listing the HP in Watts!  466W in the H.P. section of the tag.  By my math that comes out to .625 H.P.  I regret purchasing this craftsman bandsaw, however, it gets me by and one benefit of using an under-powered band saw is that it will follow the grain! :laugh:
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:07 pm »
I had an older American made 12" craftsman, 1/2 hp, it would handle any osage trimming I needed to do as long as I had a sharp blade on it. I moved on to a big Griz but still have fond memories of my old Craftsman.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:47:40 pm »
heck i've got an old chinese made 12" i got for $50 at a yard sale, long as the blade is sharp it'll cut most anything, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »
I had an older 12" Craftsman bandaw that I used for several years.  It had a wobble to it, but cut fine with a sharp blade.  I finally figured out the wobble and fixed it.  I sold it when I found a super deal on an almost brand new Craftsman 12" bandsaw.  Can you post a picture of it?  There are several different older models.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:05 pm »
I reread the original post and see that the question was specific to roughing out osage.  Yup, mine can handle roughing out seasoned osage.  But it can't handle yew or vine maple that is 4 + "  and has any moisture in it.  So if roughing out osage staves is the most you 're going ask from it it should be sufficient.  Maybe the model you are looking at is better than the one I have, which appears to be 1983 model. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
I have 2 of the 1 1/8 hp model where the head tilts instead of the table. With a sharp blade it has done anything asked of it related to making bows. I have seen quite a few for sale lately and the asking price seems to be around 150 bucks.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 09:33:13 pm »
That's the one I sold, with the tilting head.  I guess I let it go a little cheap for $75.  Oh well, I only paid $100 for the practically brand new one that replaced it.  Thank you Craigslist  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

UserNameTaken

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:34:41 pm »
If its the old American made belt sander/band saw, then you're fine. I bought one for $100 and it will do a 4" log. The performance isn't amazing, but it gets the job done.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »
Nathan my bandsaw is a 10" and I use a timberwolf blade with no problems. Give me a call this week if you get a chance
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:11 am »
I am very interesting in this topic: I am trying to revive old 12" bandsaw with 1,5 kW motor.

Offline nlester

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:20 am »
I went ahead and bought it.  Its the 2-speed 1 1/8 HP with the tilt head.  I got it for $75 and it seems like its in good working order.  I'm excited to see what it can do.  Thanks for all the information.  It appears I might've made out OK with this purchase.