Author Topic: Arrow tuning.  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Arrow tuning.
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:12 am »
I've got the shortie and I want to make some arrows to go with it.

I've got a bundle of bamboo shafts that are a tad light.  What happens if you use a lighter spine wheighted arrow on a NON center shot bow.  They draw length is 24" I'm considering making them this long or even a tad shorter.

The bow is 56# at 24".  What is my ideal arrow for this if I use bamboo?  Can I push the lower range of the spine weight and what total arrow weight am I aiming for? 

I'm thinking of doing a removable foreshaft and stone ponits.  I use a skinny piece of bamboo for the foreshafts and fill it with steel wire for a tad of extra weight.

Thanks,
PB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Arrow tuning.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:53:38 am »
If you cut them to 24 you will add 20 pounds or so of spine and will be pretty light I would think. You can add the front weight to spine them down a bit but only so much. I usually leave them long if the bow isn't fairly center shot,usually 5 to 10 pounds lighter than the bow weight works well for most of my bows plus the length keeps the weight of the arrow up.  :) you weaken the spine by about 5 lbs for every inch over 28 and stiffen the spine by about 5 for every inch shorter.
estimate but close. You also weaken with more front weight and stiffen with less.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Arrow tuning.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:58 am »
what kind of overall arrow weight do you sugget?  I've just been making sticks with feathers and a point and calling it good.  Then I started spining them.  Now I'd like to take it a level further.