Author Topic: Look what I found in the shop!  (Read 3048 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Look what I found in the shop!
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:48:47 pm »
Walked into the shop this morning and saw something scoot around the corner into a storage area.  Wasn't sure what it was.  Turned out to be a 4 and a half foot rat snake...

Sure hate to kill a snake, but he's gonna look good on a bow.  I couldn't help myself.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Adam

Re: Look what I found in the shop!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:54:18 pm »
Nice! Great before and after photos!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »
Sweet.  All I ever find are mice.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »
Nice skin George.  Any snake that wonders into a bowyers shop is askin' for it.  I wish our rat snakes had that nice of pattern.  By the time they are that size, they are almost all black.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »
Very nice looking snake. He looks kind of slender. Our gopher snakes are long and skinny compared to the poisonous snakes, but would still be considerably fatter than that.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »
He seemed to be narrow across the back for sure. That's better for bow use anyway. The big rattlers are so big around the pattern doesn't even come close to fitting on a bow back.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »
He seemed to be narrow across the back for sure. That's better for bow use anyway. The big rattlers are so big around the pattern doesn't even come close to fitting on a bow back.

George
I agree, they fit so much better. Long and skinny are built for longbows. On occasion I find one on the road without to much damage that is 6 feet. 1 snake for 1 bow is great and the pattern fits. Nothing worse than loosing half the diamond pattern when using a diamond back.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:07:22 am »
Very Nice!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:07 am »
Nice catch George!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:17 am »
That's a pretty snake, George!  Ida killed it, also.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
Thanks guys.  When I took that second picture I had the scales side up to show it off but I tacked it down scales side down.  In just a few hours the white inside of the skin is gone and it looks the same from the inside.  Always amazes me as that happens.

I had a 16yr old young man over mowing yesterday and he found the head.  It went home with him.  Not sure what he intends to do with it.  It has a .22cal pellet sized hole in it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »
Shoot.  I thought you had tacked it down like that.  I guess I'm the only one that likes to tack them scales up.  As long as the skin peals off cleanly, I don't see what difference it makes.  That sure is a nice pattern on that snake.  I have a feeling it is going to back a sweet character osage bow in the near future.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »
I don't know, I do it the way I do to promote it drying quickly.  Here's what I meant, this is the scale side down after 1 day of drying. 

See where I slipped with the box cutter I was using to skin him...and I was trying to be sooooooo careful.  Good grief.  If you've never skinned a freshly killed snake you just haven't lived... :o

I'm sure he'll go on a bow.  I've been holding out for gar skins on my trade bow, but  you never know...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
Chihuahua George!!! I need to give you lessons next time I see ya..  >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
What'd I do wrong?  You'll see me again in 5 days. ;D ;D  Looking forward to it.

George
St Paul, TX