Author Topic: Bending wood with steam...again?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Arrowind

Bending wood with steam...again?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:42:13 pm »
I'm working on a recurve.  It's ready for bending.   Last night I had on limb steaming for about 40minutes. 

I put it in my form (which is made from a 2x6) started to push down and CRACK! POP! the end of the form came off.  :o :-[ >:(

Glad it wasn't the bow making that noise...anyway now I have a limb that has been steamed but not bent.  And of course is cool now.

My question is....can I steam it again and bend it as normal?  or does the original steaming weaking it too much to try again?

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bending wood with steam...again?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:05 am »
You can steam and bend again with no worries. Be sure you get it hot enough and have your form and clamps are ready. Wood cools quickly.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:06 am »
Awesome.  Thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 05:46:02 am »
Soak it in water for a couple days. Then steam 30 mins. Per 1/2in. Then put it in the form and hold it over the steam and get all the bend in at once.
Clatskanie, Oregon