Author Topic: Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.  (Read 4224 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:57 am »
Nice job, crisp looking tips :).
If I'm allowed to criticise, I'd say maybe use a straight edge when you are pricking througfh the holes in the leather, the rest of the work is so nice (folded edges are a nice detail) it just seems a shame to have wobbly stitching.
I push through the holes with an awl every 5mm using a steel rule as a guide before stitching.
5mm works well, not so fine that it takes for ever and not so coarse that it looks rough.
Del

Thanks for the tip.  I wish all that was wobbly about me was my stitching.  I do kinda get into this "get it done" frame of mind.  I was out of real thread . . . so I used b-50 dacron. :-[

Great tip on the ruler.  I started that way but I couldn't figure out how to NOT have some scratch line or ink line visible.  Oh and I dn't have an awl right now.  I just took a heavy duty sewing needle and sharpened the tip to a triangle cross section and shove it through with a thimble.

Thanks
Actually the stitching is often on a bit of a curve so you may need to shuffle the rule slightly as you go, but you get the idea.
I couldn't find an awl anywher, so in the end I made one from a real cheapo electricians screwdriver . I crushed the plastic handle in the vice to get it off and made a chunnky ball handle from a scrap of wood.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/leatherwork.html
This blog entry might be useful.
Del
an icepick works real well for an awl, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Bamboo, Ipe Laminated ELB.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »
Thanks guys!