Author Topic: Ipe/maple/boo Reflex/deflex  (Read 12342 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Ipe/maple/boo Reflex/deflex
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:41 am »
That bow is outta this world man! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 02:08:05 am »
Cool!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:53 am »
Really cool looking bow! The handle is very sweet. The finishing work, as well as the nice transition of the ipé into the handle, is clearly done with great care.

I've got a few remarks/questions, though. I don't think you needed to pre-bend that ipé on the belly with steam. Since you're doing a trilam, the glue lines will easily hold most of the shape you force into it while the glue is still wet. As long as your laminations are thin enough, and slightly tapered in width towards the tips, it will hold without pre-bending. Apply glue to the lams, put them together, and force them into the desired shape with a few clamps. Since the lams are thin, they will have little spring back, maybe 20% or so.
I don't really like that bend in the lower fade, actually. It may looks worse in the picture than it actually is, but that fade (maybe eight inches out from the leather handle) appears to be a little hingey. Or is it just me...?
Good job on that thin ipé belly. A thick maple core helps to keep the mass low, as badger points out. However, make sure the ipé does not get too thin in certain areas. I've seen an ipé belly lam get crushed under the back and core, when the ipé got thinner than about 1/16". If the core is not tapered towards the tips, this is most likely to happen just past midlimb, where the limbs get thinnest. You obviously did good, since you don't have chrysals, but this is just a heads up for other people that want to produce a similar trilam with ipé on the belly.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:53 am »
thanks very much everyone, I really appreciate all your comments and kind words.  Its always good to get some feedback.
Darksoul, I tried to press the ipe into the form but it isnt thin enough to bend like that. I wouldnt boil/steam it for fun!!! I always appreciate criticism too, but I looked and looked for signs of a hinge and I just cant see it. Can anyone else out there see that???

Thanks Rich, that maple core was from the wood you sent me.....good quality maple....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:38 am »
Very nice looing bow,its a looker for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

TurtleCreek

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:12 am »
That is one sharp looking' bow!!!  the contrast between the woods is gorgeous, great job!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:12 am »
Really handsome.  That is a quick combination of wood, bet it shoots great.
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:59 pm »
boy that sure is pretty.but I question the till on it..seems to only bend out of the handle to me..am I missing something?..did you purposely till it that way....again..very pretty bow....gut

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:03 pm »
I think maybe its because it is short drawn,love to see it all the way back.Beautiful just the same.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »
That's a pretty one, Dave. It looks like the Tiller is dead on to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

gutpile

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 04:09:19 pm »
appears to bend more on bottom limb..1/3 from the fade neither limb bend at all...am I seeing it wrong...dang pretty bow..love the ipe lam...gut

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »
thanks again guys....Gutpile, the tiller for this type of bow is definately meant to be different than for a straight bow, because of the glued in tension..I did tiller it so that the main working part of the limb is the first third out of the fades, this is the strongest part of the bow. The rest of the bending is then straightning out the reflex, which is different from the bend of a non reflexed bow in that it is harder  to bend , as I said because of the glued in tension.
  When  I tiller a bow, I  lay the bow on a large peice of paper , draw around one limb and then reverse the bow to see if the bend is the same in both limbs, in this case both limbs where exactly the same , but I am shooting the bow at a slight angle in the picture.
  Provided the materials and design can take it, it is beter to have the first part of the limbs doing all the work, rather than the last half, it makes for a faster bow. All that said, I'm still learning and reflex/deflex bows arent the easiest to get right..

Pappy thanks, I dont have a very long draw though.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:09 pm »
That's a good idea for tillering Dragonman.  I think that if/when I get my new "bowyer room" setup in the basement, I might put one of those whiteboards behind my tiller tree.  I could trace the limb at a given draw length to compare limbs, then just wipe it off for the next bow.

Your tillering seems dead on for that type of bow.  I forget the exact numbers, but I remember reading in TTBB in the design chapter that only a small percentage of a bows potential energy is stored in the outer limbs, so it makes sense to have the inner limbs doing the majority of the work (if, like you said, the materials can take it with minimal set).

One of these days I gotta try putting some Perry reflex into a bow...

Offline Gaur

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
What a great looking bow dragonman.  As others said I better it really slings and arrow.  I think your point about the tillering for the first third is important.  These R/D bows are pretty different than a self bow.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

gutpile

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:31 pm »
I have quite a few perry reflex bows and never tilled one that way...might give it a try..mine have an even arch throughout the limbs and still hold the reflex..even have a 55incher that hold more than my 60 incher...same poundage of about 55 @ 27..like I said very pretty bow bro.....gut