Author Topic: Tillering help  (Read 7255 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: Tillering help
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:46 am »
still lookin good to me.  How many inches and pounds are u at?  And what is your target draw length and pounds?  I'd pull it another inch and check it from there.  BTW draw it 30-50 times to a given inch before progressing.  It trains the wood and can change the tiller slightly at times. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline grinner

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:56 am »
Yeah thank i worked on it for 8 hours today. I definetly drawed it over 50 times per inch i was being really careful. I got it down to 50 pounds at 28 inches how does my tiller look here. Do i need to change anything before i shape my handle and shoot it some? Also what should the brace height be to the back of the bow. THanks

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:05 am »
50@28 - sweet!  Keep in mind final shooting, sanding, and puttin on tru oil (or whatever) will steal a few of those pounds.  You will still have a very nice killer though!!   :laugh:  Fire at least 100 arrows through that puppy and leave it braced for an hour or two; then have at it with increasingly finer grits of sand paper.  Round the edges well.  Your kicking butt, keep us posted! ;)  I suggest looking at many handle exmples and take your time with one you like.  Here one style that I've done and like for example.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline grinner

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 08:56:11 am »
Thanks for the help. I plan on trying to get my grip and self shaped today. And am fine with it dropping a few pounds. thanks

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 06:12:02 pm »
This is probably a stupid question, but the string looks long to me.  Have you braced this bow, yet, like with the sting 4 to 6 inches off the above the handel?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline 1000000volts

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »
looks good so far.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:08 pm »
That bow has only one fault. It's perfect. Other than that, it's perfect.

(paraphrasing Capote)
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline grinner

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:10 pm »
Well i shot it a few time and then but it on the tree and exercised it real good. And the tiller was still looking good to me then SNAP it broke. But i plan on trying again it is addicting.

Offline Mesquite

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:44 am »
That sucks, man. At least you had some fun and got good practice. The more you build the better they get.  ;D

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 01:54:45 am »
 >:( >:( :(  Dagnabbit!!  If you ain't breakin bows you ain't makin bows bro.  That does suck.  Was this a board bow?  If so, how good was the gain?  I back all my board bows now, and they still sometimes break.  It was a good learning experience and that is bar far the most important thing.  Can't wait to see your next attempt!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline Gordon

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:02 am »
Did it break at about 10" from the tip on the left side?
Gordon