Author Topic: help with an arrowood ID  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

help with an arrowood ID
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:22:37 pm »
I have used this for arrows and it works well.....but i dont know what it is, I am searched hundreds of pictures. Its from central FL.   unfortunately all I have is one little picture of the tiny leaf cluster and a pic of the bark which does show the opposite brances..(which  already nipped off)   but its has lots of the little "safety pin" sized leaves up and down, pretty evenly spaced.  leaves almost resemble a miniature oak leaf..but i dont think it can be b\c of the opposite leaves.  take a good look at the size of the leaves..they are deceiving in the picture... they are pretty small  and tons of them before i nipped em off.
          kinda resembles sparkleberry in a way...but its not sparkleberry    any ideas, especially you FL guys?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: help with an arrowood ID
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:41:14 pm »
Kinda looks like a Gallberry bush.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:26 pm »
Thats what I was thinking we got tons of it around here.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:13:00 am »
Gaulberry is a holly(Ilex) and all hollies have toothed leaves, some quite minute.   Could it be a privet?(Ligustrum sinense) Privet is an invasive species all over the southeast US and maybe beyond. It does make good arrows. Very hard wood when dry.  It also has opposit leaves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47:57 am »
i tried to respond last night, but i guess it didnt go through...I had written.     
It's not gallberry, I just cut some gallberry a couple days ago.  this wood is tougher than gallberry or any of the hollies.   I also wrote that privet came to mind, but it doesnt match the  pictures i see on the net.....kinda close tho.  so i dont know if its just different than the privet I am used to.  I have used the chinese privet before and it sucks, but this is def not chinese privet.   but i dont know what else it would be with the opposite branches.    if you look at the leaf pic, its opposite branches that have leave clusters on the end.  when i get back over there I will get a better overall picture of the plant.  But I have some arrows made out of it already...seems pretty good
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:50:18 am »
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-38026237/stock-photo-phasmina-insect-clonopsis-gallica-on-leaves-of-privet-ligustrum.html

this is kinda close.... with the opposite branches and multiple leaves...  but leaves are a bit different
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:32 am »
Looks a lot like Privet to me.

The stuff grows all over the place here.

Find some place where LARGE ( 8" to 12" stumps ) Privet plants are growing under BIG, mature trees.  There will be shoots on them that do not have the little side knots on them.  They make real good arrows.  Cut them and lay them out flat in a sunny spot.  ( NOT BUNDLED)  If you bundle the fresh Privet shoots the ones in the center of the bundle will rot.  Work them straight over a heat source.  Can of Sterno works great.  Once they are mostly dry ( about three weeks after cutting ) scrape the bark off and seal the ends.  Another week in the sun and you can bundle them for storage.  They must be bone dry in order for your arrows to stay straight. 

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

young indian12

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:42 pm »
Up north in West Virginia we have lots of Arrow Wood(Viburnam). It looks quite simalar, but it has leaves on it that are bigger and not as shiny. It probably is not, but it almost looks like a papa shoot. Oh well, just my two cents.
Hope you figure it out!

Breven

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »
I agree with ridgerunner..looks like privet hedge..gut

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »
 The wife used to work in nurseries and said how about Indian Hawthorne?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:35:16 am »
The Indian Hawthorn in my book has alternate leaves that are more rounded and toothed.  I still say privet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:02:43 am »
We have lots of that here in Texas. Looks like privet to me.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:20 am »
I am thinking privet too.  the opposite twigs make me lean that way more.  whenever i finally get back over there i will take more pics... i got a couple sugarberry staves I have to "procure" from there as well.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:38 am »
it reminds me of possumhaw AKA deciduous holly.  It is an Ilex sp.

Offline whiteoak

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 12:14:18 am »
that is youpon its in the holly faimly it makes excellent arrows  if im not mistaken its named after the indian tribe down here in east texas that also used it for arrows