Author Topic: Red Elm bow stave  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Red Elm bow stave
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
I've read that Red Elm may not be the best wood for making a selfbow but is it strong enough to use without backing? I've got a nice 66" straight, 2 to 21/2" wide with medium growth rings and would like to try carving a bow from it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: Red Elm bow stave
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:31:29 pm »
Red elm is great bow wood.  I would not back it unless the back is damaged for some reason.  Start carving.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
I agree with Tell!
  Here is the first red elm bow I ever made. It was made for last years TG bow trade, 60"t/t and pulling about 50#@28" if I remember correctly. The giraffe skin pattern backing on this bow is only tissue paper and does not effect the performance or duribility of this bow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »
That's good news!!!
Pat do you remember how wide you left the bow at the fades and how long before you started tapering to the tips. I really like the looks of that bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »
Fred, I don't remember the exact dimensions but I'm guessing about 1 5/8" at the fades with a slight taper to 1" or 1 1/4" eight inches from the tips. I left the tips 3/4" until after I bent the curves then brouht them down to 3/8"
  You can see the complete "build along" on TradGang, pg 25 of the "Bowyers Bench", 11 posts up from the bottom. "Trade Bow, 60" elm..."
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:11 am »
Red Elm makes a great selfbow......I have one made by halfeye.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:36 am »
Never made a red elm but finished a winged elm a few months ago and it is one of my favorite bows,smooth and quite,I wouldn't think their wouldn't  be much difference,not sure on that but have always heard red elm was good bow wood. :) :) It is like some other white wood pretty supseptable  to moisture at least mine was while building so be sure to keep it as dry as possible when building and seal good afterwards. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »
Well you've convinced me enough to start working on it next week. It is dry and at least ready to outline and remove some wood.
Where I live there are an abundance of trees which follow around a creekbed that winds 3 times through my small acreage.
A lot of the trees i don't recognize but there is an abundance of black walnut, mulberry, and maybe 2 species of elm (not red).
I went out this morning and cut down one that I thought looked fairly straight and sealed the ends. Then split it into quarters, removed the bark and sealed the backs. The bark was a cinch but splitting took everything out of this old boy.
Should have had 3 good ones but ended up with 2 because I tried to get 4. A couple of them aren't very deep on the small end.
Only 1 major knot but sure a lot of pin knots on these staves.
Does anyone have an idea of the type tree from the leaf pic in the last photo?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:34:14 pm »
Could be american elm or slippery elm (red elm).  Not sure.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:42:30 pm »
Apologies for bringing an old topic back to life.. but the question asked about the leaf ID in the last pic...  it's hackberry...

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »
Hackberry.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.