Author Topic: Offset Handle?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline bluebombers_84

Offset Handle?
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:16:51 am »
Hey all!

So I'm new to this board, and to bow making. I'm currently building my first board bow (red oak flatbow). I have a question about the layout of the bow. A number of bow plans will (lengthwise) place the center of the handle at the center of the limbs. This means that both limbs will be equal length from the fades. However, I have seen others place the handle below center, so that the arrow is at exact center. My question is if then the limbs are different lengths on a bow with a offset handle.

In the picture below, the top bow has the handle in the center. Both limbs are 33". Pretty straight forward.

If I made the bow with an offset handle, below center, would it look something like the bottom bow? In that case, would the upper limb be 30", and the bottom limb 28". Center, where the arrow would rest, is 33" either side. But does that mean the limbs are different lengths, or should the upper limb be shortened to 28", like the bottom limb? That would make the arrow sit at 33" from bottom nock, and 31" from top nock.

Does this make sense? I don't know if I explained myself very well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Offset Handle?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:40:59 am »
With different length limbs the shorter limb will be the bottom limb and it will be slightly stiffer than the top...but both limbs still need to bend evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:48:57 am »
when i ofset a handle i find center of the bow, then measure up 1 1/4" to the top of the grip then go down 4" for total length of grip, so the arrow is still an inch and a quarter above true center, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:53:08 am »
The center of the bow with symmetrical limbs needs to be the pivot point in your hand which is usually the crotch formed between your thumb and forefinger. Then the arrow sits above center(however much that may be) if you're shooting off your knuckle. When I shape a handle in a bow I make the deepest part of the throat on the grip the exact center and then cut the shelf in about 1" above that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:09:22 am »
When I started building bows the standard was to start at the center of the bow and go up 1 1/4" and down 2 3/4" for an offset 4" handle. The fades went out 2" from the handle then same length limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
For your first bow particularly since it is a board leave it 1 3/8 in wide out to mid limb and narrow to 1/2 inch nocks. No glued on handle. Leave it 3/4 in thick and 1 3/8 in wide. Do not narrow the handle. Measure 2 in on either side of center. Leave the handle are alone but let it bend. Honestly, when I do a board bow I never glue on a handle. I've made upwards of 200 bows or more since '92 or '93 of all ilk from boards to log staves of several different trees. Leave the complicated designs for later. Let's get a bow in your hands now.Glued on handles add several other considerations that I won't even go into. I know you won't listen. My site has more though. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!