Author Topic: no stick tillering  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Dictionary

no stick tillering
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »
alright i was reading something about this on paleoplanet and was talking to half eye about it a bit but wanted some more input from some other members who use the "look and feel" method or the shadow method or what have you. I was watching Billy Berge's video on youtube where he gets to tillering the bow. i think its part 3 or 4 of his primitive bow series. all he does is tiller by watching the brace height and pulling it to determine weight. I was wondering how practical this is from other members on here WHO HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED IT.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Gordon

Re: no stick tillering
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »
I tiller a bow by establishing the limb thickness taper that I want by feel and checking it by looking down the limbs while the bow is braced. When I arrive at the tiller I want, then it's just a matter of evenly removing wood from the belly until you hit your target weight. Once you get the hang of it there won't be any surprises when you pull the sting back. Now my tiller tree is primarily used for testing and excercising the limbs.
Gordon

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:00 pm »
I use a full length mirror after getting to brace.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »
I use a full length mirror after getting to brace.

I like to do this too. It helps me determine which limb is stronger sometimes.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »
   I often don't share how I tiller cause I don't want to show people the wrong way but I usually just floor tiller, then go to full brace and adjust tiller at brace height excersizing by making a few pulls till it feels right then putting it on the scale very close to the end for final adjustments. Pulling by hand you can easily feel if the wood is breaking down or not.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:04 pm »
  I wonder if this thread is really about no set tillering instead of no stick tillering?

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »
What Badger describes is basically what I do when I'm making a familiar bow (straight d-bow or stiff handled flatbow). This is easier when there is no pressure to get a certain draw weight.

Unlike Badger though, my bows have plenty of set, especially when tillering takes 20 minutes :laugh:

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:29:19 pm »
Dauntless, thats the same with me, I only use that method when I am very familiar with a particular wood and design. And believe me I still screw up my share when I rush things.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:58 pm »
No tillering stick no rope and pulley system or any other jigs. Just tillering by feel, examining brace height, checking limbs as they are pulled by hand, and draw weight is established when you feel "it is right" when you pull back to your draw length. I am planning on attempting this on my next hickory sapling bow. I feel it is the way the natives and many tribes across the world have done it for thousands of years. Plus i really don't enjoy making bows using a pulley system. It just isn't enjoyable to me to stand back and put the bow on the tree. I'd like to try something new and was wondering about the practicality of it and other's experiences. I'm going for a simple D-style bendy handled bow say 65" long so it isn't as important for perfect tiller.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:24 pm »
With a good looking brace you could easily go to full draw. Looking at where the bow is taking set will tell you if the strain is properly spread out.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:42:51 pm »
Yes, I've used shadows to tiller on a couple of bows just for grins and giggles but not my normal way of making a bow. I forgot the question. I would not tiller to brace and then pull to draw length without adjust tiller along the way. The way I do it is on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!