Author Topic: Sample: Tech Bow Thread / suggestions welcomed  (Read 9563 times)

Offline half eye

Sample: Tech Bow Thread / suggestions welcomed
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:26 am »
Hey Fellas, Thought I would do up a sample type entry for a tech thread on bows. The idea is that eventually a person who has access to certain woods etc. could run through this thread and find the info he/she needs to get started on any type of bow that was listed.
      This thread will not post comments, or anything that is not a direct post about a particular type bow and the technical aspects of it. The one I'm posting is a sample of what I think....but please if I missed anything or the format is wrong etc etc please advise so we can come up with a useable form that will be helpful.
      I'm gonna leave it to the Admin's and Mod's to decide where it should be located at on the site, and they will delete any "comments" that are posted on this particular thread. I hope this will be an "info only" area. Any comments or questions about any entry can be PM'd to the author of the entry.
      The entry's can be made by any member, on any bow type they make and KNOW to be a good design and produces a bow with good performance.

PLEASE: let me know about this sample; if ya think it's OK, needs work or changes, and most of all if you find it would be helpful.....cause if it ain't gonna be a help we don't need it on here!!!!!
rich

SAMPLE ENTRY;

American Elm (Ulmus americana ) Edge grain "board" / selfbow
59" ntn / Mollegabet  [53# @ 28" made for a 26" draw]
Maker: half-eye
Primary purpose: Hunting
Dimensions: included on attached photos
Braced profile: attached photo
Full draw profile: attached photo ( there are 2 shots one "high-hand" and one at normal position)
Builders comments: This bows overall length is short for the style. The working limbs are parallel sided but DO have a belly taper. The bow is minimal in dimension. The bow preforms well with a variety of arrow weights and spines, has very little to no hand-shock.

Offline half eye

Re: Sample: Tech Bow Thread / suggestions welcomed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:05 am »
Meant to include the force/draw chart and forgot....sorry

14# @ 11inches
18# @ 13"
22# @ 15"
26# @ 17"
30# @ 19"
35# @ 21"
40# @ 23"
44 1/2# @ 25"
50# @ 27"
53# @ 28"

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:59 am »
Great post.
I think you need to identify the long line on pic 1, is it the geometric centre of the bow?
E.G, I think the centreline neds identiying so we know if the whole thing is symetrical.
S'pose I should draw up a 'medium weight' ELB sometime soon.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:35 am »
Good idea.
 Del, my rudimentary math skills tell me 29.5 is half of 59. ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:26:09 am »
The dimension is listed there on the bottom portion of the photo, not at the top half with the others.  All the measurements needed are there.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:46 am »
Thanks Lee,good point

Del, very good point as one feature of the bow is exactly that...symetrical grip and limbs....thanks

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »
I think this is a wonderful idea/project Rich.

My thoughts on bows with sinew would only be helpful/objective if we had a true measurement of the sinew applied in terms of ounces, as a number of the sinew bows I've seen simply state "2 or 3 layers of sinew."  One man's layer can be significantly different than another's.

I look forward to seeing this thread grow with contributions from our best bowyers.  Thanks~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
Hey Lee,
      When ya gonna post that baby, that's what will be great about this....@poster will be giving info on his specialized area and include the necessary info to help out anybody wanting to try one. I dont know squat about sinewed bows, or horn bows, or English long bows but the guys who do......well they can cover the bases that they know for a fact somebody would need to know, just like your comment about the sinew.
rich

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »
Would this be helpful, Rich?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:49 pm »
Yes it would Matt, ya show-off. >:D
rich

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »
I really like the layout info. Very helpful especially for the new folks. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »
Good idea.
 Del, my rudimentary math skills tell me 29.5 is half of 59. ;)
D'oh... I've been sat here 5 minutes an' I still can't think of a smart reply  :(
But enginering drawing practice does usually call for a centreline. But heck that doesn't cut it, it just isn't funny... :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:24:52 pm »
This would be great. I often find the only thing keeping me from starting a project is that I don't know enough to formulate a plan of action. This will be be very helpful for giving us newbies a bit of direction.

Offline dmc

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:57:07 pm »
Getting started is half the battle for me. This thread would be a huge help for me. Less scratching, and more scraping. Good idea half eye!
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »
This is a great idea and template rich. Even though every piece of wood is different and all that, a bow pedigree could only add information to the global bowyering pool of knowledge and can for sure be a help to novices and not so novices alike. Great initiative!
Quebec, Canada