Author Topic: Headed To California for the Week  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Dictionary

Headed To California for the Week
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:33:32 pm »
Its spring break of my last year in high school, going to San Francisco and some other places in California with my Dad. Never been one to travel much and i don't care much for large cities, but he's been bugging me to go with him. Gonna see what you West Coast folks are like.  :laugh:

headed out tonight, its gonna be a long flight from Georgia...
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline cracker

Re: Headed To California for the Week
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »
Have fun I always thought I wanted to go to California take pics and let us see.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »
just don't judge us all buy the peep's ya find in the big city, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:20 pm »
just don't judge us all buy the peep's ya find in the big city, Bub

:laugh: a city is a city is a city
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:47:03 am »
If you at all can, go do the Alcatraz tour. It is national park. You have to book a boat to get there, and the tickets always go really fast. I have been to Frisco a bunch of times but never had the chance to go. I used to work for a chaplain in the Army who had been a screw there in the 1950s. Also, go visit SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, Fisherman's Wharf (totaly tourist trap mostly to take your money, so be aware of that) the only fully restored WWII liberty ship. It is amazing to see, and when I went, I got free reign to go all over her, even down into the engine rooms.  Great seafood, too, and some great Italian food too. You will have a lot of fun. It is not a city I ever want to live in, being from LA, but a nice place to hang out at. And some nice people watching (girls) on the beaches. I was on one beach with a buddy and the coast guard closed it down suddenly, I think because someone had been attacked by a great white that day. Also, there is an old Spanish fort just under the San Francisco side of the Golden Gate Bridge, I can't recall the name, but the US took it over and used it for harbor defense around the time of the Civil War. Very drafty, impressive place, always in the shade as the bridge is over it now. A free site to visit. In fact, the whole bay has tons of old artilllary sites and forts from the 1800s and 1900s, including WWII period, when coastal artillary was still in use.

Finally, if you really want to piss of a native, call it Frisco. They hate that. :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:05:23 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »
I havent been this uncomfortable in a long time. beautiful city but it is soo congested. felt worse than new york did when i lived in jersey. Had me questioning myself why i even agreed to come out here. Goin to the redwoods tomorrow i think. hopefully that will be a bit better.

-JW_Halverson

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:59 pm »
The museum at University Berkely,has some of Ishis stuff on display.The Redwood, country is a different world than SF.The Museum at the Trees of Mystery,has one of the best small Native museums i have seen.But,dont pay to go on the Tour at Trees of mystery.Ask a local where to go,to see the same type trees for free a way down the road.Its where they filmed ET and Star wars.

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:39:10 pm »
The Trees of Mystery! When I was a kid, we took a car trip from LA to, we had hoped, all the way through Oregon. Everyone got sick, with me getting hit in Frisco. Then, I recoverd and the next victim was down. I recall when we were hundreds of miles from the Trees of Mystery, there were all kinds of cool signs, the dead Indian with the spear in his back, etc, and then you saw tons of bumberstickers advertising the place at least 100 miles away. The closer we got, the more I wanted to stop, but no way. Dad and mom said nada. We didnt even stop at the Redwoods at all. We made it as far as Cresent City, which I recall being all spooky and fogged in, like that Steven King story The Mist. We stayed the night, and turned around. Everyone but me ate the Chinese food, and got violently sick yet again. I was pleased. Served em right for not wanting to stop at the Trees of Mystery.

What they do / did is wire bumperstickers to the cars in the lot, you drive off not noticing, and they got all that adevertising for free. They have a giant Paul Bunyon tree and a so on. I suspect now that they dont even come close to the world famous coffee cup flipper in Gilroy, but that is a diffent story at Casa de Fruit.

Maybe I didnt miss much, but I still wish we had stopped.

Dictionary, SF is dwarfed by NY City. The two dont even compare. But have fun if you can. Go up north the the Sonoma Valley, or Napa Valley. They are both fairly close to SF, a nice drive, and if you are old enough to drink, the wine tastings are fun. Any trip is what you make of it. If you really want to travel really far north, you can see Ft. Ross. 

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:44 am »
SF is 7 miles wide 7 miles long. Its cramped and loaded with folks. When i was in NY, at least it was more spread out i guess. Then again, i'm not much of one for a city.

-JW_Halverson

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »
Dictionary,    There's a lot to see just in SF, not to mention the surrounding bay area.   Some of it is very schlocky, but other sites are wonderful.   Alcatraz is definitely a must see, though tickets have to be purchased several days in advance.  ( My wife and I just took my mother out there last week.)    The beach from the Marina  district to Fort point is chilly but gives a great view of the bay and passing boats/ ships. Muir Woods is beautiful as is much of the Golden Gate park.  Just for giggles you can look up the Golden Gate archery range.  I'm told all the targets are on one line and then archers just shoot from varying distances.    There is a strong incentive to practice at longer ranges!!
Before I moved to CA, I was told by a friend that "the weather is great,  the state is beautiful and the hunting/ fishing can't be beat, but an awful lot of people made it here before you."
If you're visiting the city, try to enjoy the things the city has to offer.  ie. great food, beautiful vistas, some museums and historical sites, etc.  Later you may be able to come and see the rest of the state.   Popular outdoor sites like Yosemite can be nearly as crowded as the city, but most of the state comes close to being empty and grandly beautiful.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:45:33 pm »
i must be a pretty awful bastard for not enjoying my time here.

I donno if we are doing all that stuff. Just headed up the coast a bit i think to visit the redwoods a bit. Then come back and visit a friend of my dads for a day or two. I really dont know what the hell is wrong with me......

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
Just look for what to like instead of not like. And live in the moment. Go to Guerardelli (sp?) square and have awesome ice cream. Go the Fisherman's Wharf and eat some amazing seafood, caught fresh each day. Ride the cable cars. Drive up some of the steep hills in a stick shift and have a terrifying experience ( :) but actually, it is), they have amazing art museums, universities, restaurants, bars and clubs, China Town is great, so is the Italian district, Coit Tower is fun, and Anchor Steam is brewed locally, and is a decent lager. If nothing else, go to the beach and watch the girls in bikinis and then go get some seafood or a steak.

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 04:01:50 pm »
BTW I just realized you are posting on this site when you should be out there discovering the area. You can post on here year round, it can wait till you get home. :)

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 06:15:11 pm »
Sounds like you will be busy - If you get the opportunity come on over to Yosemite. It is about 4 hours from SF.  I work in the NDN museum and you can come bust some rock. Ben 209-352-4086  I work Wed thru Sat and every other Sun. We have a gem and Mineral show in Mariposa on the 14th and 15th.  In any event try to find even the smallest thing enjoyable in each day. Have fun.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:55 pm »
Sittin at the hotel today....been a busy week,got one more day left tomorrow. I really didn't like walking around SF because a city is a city is a city to me, seen one seen em all. But once we got out of the city into the countryside traveling up highway 1, mannnn i was amazed at california. You guys got it all .THe pacific ocean, the rolling hills and mountains, great fresh seafood, beautiful sights, huge trees at the redwoods, great bike lanes and motorcycling is very much encouraged here. I saw the redwoods today and WOW........im really glad i had the opportunity to come here and see what you guys got. Its absolutely gorgeous. I'll leave the city to the city folks but after out of the city i couldnt hide my awe of the place. I'm actually saddened i only got the opportunity to see the northern side. I think i'm going to see Alkatraz tomorrpw...think i spelled that wrong. Maybe i'll post a few pictures come sunday or monday. My body clock is going to be all messed up though

-JW_Halverson