Author Topic: Rock run to Glass Buttes (Back from the Buttes.Pictures added)  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Driving down to Burns Oregon today in the rain to see if it is possible to get back in to the Buttes at all.I have not heard anything on here about the knap-in. Its been raining down there , here , and every where.Supposed to rain for the next couple of days down there, here,every where. That road down there turns to eel snot when wet.Not too optimistic. Hopefully will at least be able to go down to the Dacite pits and get some Dacite. (I think it is the best knapping rock there is) My buddy that was gonna go with me is bailing out......Yep ! He's a wiener.  8 to 10 hr. drive from here,(depending on conditions)
 I will post a pictorial when I return. It's really beautiful down there.   ' Frank

Back from the Buttes.  Was a whirlwind trip,but a good one.
I left outa here mid-morning Friday. Buzzed south 'till I Hit Mountains. I remembered my camera and forgot my cell phone (Dangit !   ;D )  I'd see something,stop in the road,take a picture or two and roar on.(Traffic was very light) I could have easy taken two days for this leg of the trip (Maybe longer)  Got down to the Dacite pits,just at dusk.No one there.drove over to Glass buttes to the Knap-in area. No-one around the firepit. (It was after 10:00 PM) Poured a whiskey and looked at about a million stars.It was a beautiful night. Put back the seat and slept till just before dawn.Ate some cold chicken,drank a coke,listened to the weather report and drove around to the south side of the Buttes. I haven't been back here before.Grabbed a bopper and a bucket and took a ramble.Lots of guys turn their noses up at surface nodules,not me.The buttes have surface nodules scattered all over them,from gravel to 500 lbs. I love to just hike and when I see a nodule I like,I kick a hole in the dirt and spall that sucker out right there.Bury the debitage and move on.Lots of stuff to see up there.Deer were bouncing around,Mountain bluebirds were paired up and all over.Found some lion caves that were just cool.Easy could see a big saber-toothed cat laying out in front,soaking up rays and looking over the country.(Had to look back,10 or 15 thousand years.No problem.I don't think the country has changed too much) Went back down to the knap in and yapped for a bit,folks were pulling out for home,many had been there for a week. I said Adios and headed for the dacite pits (Weather had changed and it was blowing a blizzard) Loaded the truck with rock and 5 or 6 buckets of spalls and headed out north towards home. Got back home last night about midnight.  I will try and post these pictures and some descriptions. Be patient,I am slow
    '  Frank
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:33:22 pm by Sparrow »
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline iowabow

Re: Rock run to Glass Buttes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »
hey grab a little extra and ship to IA
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »
I remember that road. Even in good weather it is not the best, rain on it. :P

I know the feeling about whiners. for me, a day driving is no big deal.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:50 pm »

Glad to hear this, you can be down here for the Cross Plains get-together in a looong day of driving. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »

Glad to hear this, you can be down here for the Cross Plains get-together in a looong day of driving. 8)

George

I would if I could get the friday before off. But I have taken so many days off latley, the boss is not feeling generious.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:14 pm »
Bevan are you talking about the boss at home or work. ??? ;)

And to get back on topic, that dacite looks like some seriously cool rock to knap.  Someday I'm going to trade for some.  Looking forward to your pictures.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »
Bevan are you talking about the boss at home or work. ??? ;)

And to get back on topic, that dacite looks like some seriously cool rock to knap.  Someday I'm going to trade for some.  Looking forward to your pictures.

George
Hold your horses here you hijacker lol he is only going to be capable of hauling what he wants and that which is being shipped to IA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »
Rock run, whoohooooo!!! Good luck and be safe. That dacite is some easier rock to knap for sure.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »
Hold your horses here you hijacker lol he is only going to be capable of hauling what he wants and that which is being shipped to IA

I think you got enough obsidian and stuff (as evidenced by the preform post!!!)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:50:45 pm »
Lol but clearly is is all used now lol

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:02:25 pm »
knap in is going on right now until sunday.  i didnt get to go this year, only 5 hrs for me. :-[  maybe next year.
have fun

tell
Tell Riley

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 02:08:01 am »
Frank that sounds like a fun adventure. Looking forward to the pics.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:18:08 am »
Man, i wish i could be out there splunking around with ya! Dacite? ooohh, i love it! Looking forward to those pic's..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Rock run to Glass Buttes (Back from the Buttes.Pictures added)
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 06:46:09 pm »
Alright,here goes
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »

To misquote the classic DeNiro line, "You talking about me?  YOU talkin' about me?  You talkin' about ME?"

>:D

Nice shot of the flying ribeye, aka, Grus canadensis, aka sandhill crane.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.