Author Topic: Badger Fight  (Read 12221 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Badger Fight
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
The uncle for whom I am named, once caught a badger using just his bootlace for a snare.  But what do you do with an enraged badger on the end of a short bootlace once you have caught him?  Ya whirl him around your head a few times and let go of the string, make a snap decision based on the trajectory of the badger and run the opposite direction. 

Knowing my Uncle John, the accolades of all the boys in Flaxton, ND more than made up for the seat warming he got for losing yet another bootlace during the Great Depression.

I can't wait for the next installment of Captain Macho Boy* versus the Battling  Badger of Snake River Idaho!

*now you know what CMB stands for!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:30:35 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
Part two

Naturally, we started circling the ring, tramping down the wheat and sizing-up one another.  He held a steady snarl showing impressive canines and blasting heavy breaths from his black nose.  The intensity of his dark eyes was magnified by the striking contrast of white and black in his mask.  What little he had for ears were tucked tightly back.  I do not know how you tell a male from female badger by looking one in the face, but this was a male, a mature adult male.  We continued circling the ring we had established in the trampled wheat. He would lunge at me with a hiss-filled growl, launching from his position tucked nearly flat against the ground. I would avoid the attack, and then counter with a lunge back at him, letting out a growl of my own that came quite easily in the moment of it all. He showed no signs of backing down, of turning and running.  Fleeing is not a badgers strength.  After this initial exchange of charges and bluffs, I decided I would take this badger.  His skeleton would be sent to my old professor, to be deposited in the Angelo State Natural History Collection.  His pelt would make a fine back quiver, and I would eat badger meat for the first time.  I reached for my Leatherman on my right hip, but the case was empty.  I had either left it in the truck or it had popped out of the case in the initial chase.  I went to my left pocket for a small Kershaw pocket knife.  I flipped it open and switched it over to my right hand. The blade on this particular knife, at 2 and ¾”, was no longer than this badgers claws, so I decided it was a fair fight.  How to get this small blade to the vitals was not clear.  The top side of his rib cage was protected by strong shoulder blades and the associated mass of digging muscles. I had to go for the underside. I made a quick move bringing my shoe under his chin to flip him over.  I got the badger flipped on to his back but he was upright in an instant and nearly had my hand in his mouth.  It was confirmed he was male. I made the same move again, but he saw it coming a mile away this time and snapped my shoe with a quick bite.  I tried again thinking I could drive the knife home if I could just roll him with my foot and keep him pinned under foot.  I had him pinned on his back under my foot for a split-second before he rolled out from under foot with surprising strength.  It was clear that I was not going to get at his tender underside, so I decided to go for the throat.  We were both beginning to tire a bit when I started taking swipes at his throat. After a good half-dozen attempts, I had nicked him on the chin twice and almost lost my hand once. I resorted to kicking dirt in his eyes.  I warned you this was an ugly fight.  Not surprisingly, badgers are used to getting dirt in their eyes and he washed it way with a couple blinks and no advantage was gained.  A tractor!  I looked up to see a big tractor with a huge spray rig outfit cruising across the stubble field right towards us.  We paused, catching our breath while the tractor pulled up to the edge of the wheat field, about 40 yards away and stopped next to the red Ford rental truck I had left.  A guy popped out and walked over quickly with a mean stride, stopping about 15 yards shy of us, his eyes focused on the badger with its chin bloodied up. He then looked at me, with a bloody knife in my hand, and asked, “what the hell do you think you are doing?” It was difficult to shift from the intensity of the battle to an attempt to talk my way out of this.  Standing in the middle of his trampled wheat, I told him frankly that I was a mammalogist and that I had always wanted to “get after a badger”.  “Well, what the hell are you doing on my property!?” Still half-cocked and facing the badger, I told him that I worked for Tetra Tech and that I was out doing golden eagle surveys.  Before I could even finish the sentence he had thrown his hands up in the air and went on about Tetra Tech and how many times he had problems with them driving across his fields like it was a highway.  I guess he had seen the bright red truck from a distance and had finally caught someone in the act, where only tire tracks had been found before.  He said it was a no-till zone and that you can’t drive on it.  I tried to explain that I was not aware, and that I would never drive on the field and thought the unplanted dirt border was for driving on.  He threw his hand’s up in despair, and brought the discussion back to the badger, explaining that you can kill as many of those as you want, but it wont get rid of them.  I tried to explain that I didn’t have anything against badgers and wasn’t trying to eradicate them. He said, "do whatever you want with the badger" and walked back to the tractor.  Taking that as his blessing to continue where we left off, I shifted full-attention back to the badger and waited until the tractor disappeared over the next rise.  We were now both rested up and ready for round two. 

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:55:09 am by CMB »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 06:15:58 pm »
Darned if this story don't feel like it would be better told around a Camp Fire out in the Boonies somewhere.

:)

Good Story so far with or without the Camp Fire!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
I wish you could have video taped this somehow.  I'm anxiously awaiting round 2.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 09:59:19 pm »
GREAT story Captain Macho Boy!!  I'm in suspense. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 02:36:07 am »
Darned if this story don't feel like it would be better told around a Camp Fire out in the Boonies somewhere.

:)

Good Story so far with or without the Camp Fire!

-gus

What he said... I also would love to have a badger hide and make a hat like the Sioux wore in Dances with Wolves..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline sonny

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »
sorta wondering if CMB lost a couple of fingers and that's the reason it's taking so long to tell this story.......
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:40 pm »
I have a distant cousin that come up to MI from FL everyyear for X-Mas...he worked for an exotic vet and administered a lot of the drugs and vaccinations for all the animals they treated.  One year he shows up with his hand all wrapped up and you could see he had lost a couple digits on that hand.  So I had to ask (and with him you better have 30 minutes to listen to the answer of any simple question...to say he likes to jaw jack is an understatement) I braced myself for the coming deluge and to my surprise this was his simple reply (said in the most backwoods, southern drawl you ever heard)

"a Hy-erna et my finga's"

Careful what you offer your fingers/hand too as you may not be getting them all back  >:D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »
CMB is, what Charlie Russell references, swinging a perty wide loop with this here yarn.  Lemme toss another chunk on the fire and take another pull offa that brown bottle!  This is settlin' into a mighty long trail. 

Offline Kpete

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »
ah, so why were you doing all this on private property?  ah, humane dispatch?  Maybe the badger had a bad taste in his mouth.  I wonder what the badger had in mind for a CMB hide?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »
ah, so why were you doing all this on private property?  ah, humane dispatch?  Maybe the badger had a bad taste in his mouth.  I wonder what the badger had in mind for a CMB hide?

Not sure what the badger had in mind, but it was gonna look like a cross between leather and lace when he was done with it!!!

Hate to do it Cap'n Macho Boy, but I gotta badger you for the next installment, please!

Offline cracker

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:25 pm »
Yep if this king of drama would keep on here I would have the boob tube taken out at my house. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »
Halftime was over.  We started circling and growling again, it was clear that we were both near full strength again.  The badger held a renewed look of hatred in his eyes.  It was not the look of a defensive animal.  He looked at me as though he understood my intentions and had accepted the kill or be killed terms of the game we were now playing.  And I am sure that he believed, just as well as I did, that he would prevail.

I went for his throat again. This time though I led in with my left hand held high and open coming over the badger, and as he would take a snap up at my left hand, I would then take a stab at his neck with my right. I tried this several times without taking a stab, just to get the timing down. I found that if I came in high and fast enough I could even bop him on top of the head.  This infuriated him.  He was now determined to have my hand.  Now with the timing down, and the planned-out-motion of my right hand practiced in my mind, I came in yet again with my left hand from above, and as the badger went up for it I sent the full length of the blade into his neck. Blood spilled out onto the ground as the badger shot back and let out gargled growls.  He was now fatally wounded. 

I had mixed feelings as I stepped back and dropped to a knee.  I felt relieved that it was over, felt proud that I had taken a badger with a pocket knife, and at the same time, felt remorse for taking the life of this creature.  I watched and listened to his gurgled breaths slow, his eyes drifting shut.  I watched the pool of blood grow slowly, drying quickly into the dirt in the dry, hot breeze.  I quietly gave the badger my respects, wiped my brow, and stood to my feet. At these movements, the badger opened his eyes and mustered up a bit of a growl, his head still resting on the dirt.  I decided to walk back to the truck, look for my Leatherman, and let the badger pass in peace. 

There was no sign of the Leatherman tool, and I had to get back to work.  I completed some weather data for the survey while I was at the truck, then walked back over to where the badger lay.  He appeared lifeless until I was within a few feet, then he repeated the show of dazed eyes and meager growls.  I decided to let him be until I had completed the 1 hour eagle survey, and so I walked on up to the survey point several hundred yards up the hill at the base of the meteorological tower. 

The survey started uneventfully, with several northern harriers cruising the fields and a pair of Swainson’s hawks circling high overhead, as I listened to the sound of the farmers tractor rise and fall with the hills and dips off in the distance. Then, I got a call from the project manager who had been contacted by Ridgeline Energy about a disgruntled landowner.  She asked about where I had driven the truck and what exactly was said between the landowner and myself regarding the truck, and I answered in detail, while scanning the sky for eagles.  The interrogation was closing and I thought I had made it through without having to mention the badger.  Maybe the landowner neglected to mention the badger to Ridgeline, he certainly didn’t seem to have any contention about the badger fight, it was the truck that he was pissed about.  Then just as we were about to end the call, she asked, and what was this about a badger?  I confessed with the least amount of detail possible.  She sounded surprised and even a bit amused.  She explained that it was going to have to be included in the incident report.  What could I say, but yes, I understand.  We wrapped up the call, and I finished the survey.  No eagles.

I started back down the hill toward the truck and badger pondering my future as I came to realize I was going to lose my job.  Just as I was nearing where the badger lay, something out in the open wheat stubblefield caught my eye.  It was another badger!  About 80 yards off it lay on top of a fresh mound of dirt, watching me.  I continued over to where I left the wounded badger, only to find a pile dried blood and no sign of the badger.  I looked back over to the badger sitting on top of the dirt pile, still watching me.  Could that be the same badger?  I started toward it, lifting my binoculars once I had halved the distance to it.  Sure enough, the dirt on his chin and neck was tinged red.  He looked at me as if pleased by the disbelief showing on my face.  I dropped my binoculars and continued towards the badger.  He kept that even expression on his face even as I closed in, no defensive snarl, no worry, just satisfaction.  Then just I got close he whipped around and shot down into the hole on there other side of the massive dirt mound.  I peered in to see only dirt flying out from under his short tail deep within the ground.  I couldn’t believe it!  This badger was on his death bed an hour ago, and now he was half way to China!  I had no desire to try and go after him at this point.  The tractor was going to appear over the hill any minute, and this badger was not going to die. 

I walked back to the truck and the fight-seen. Still in disbelief, I walked over to the sizable pool of dried blood and knelt down to feel it, and then I recalled all that had just passed that morning.  The knife blade must have passed through the base of his tongue, cutting a massive bed of vessels, but no major arteries.  I shook my head and walked back to the truck.  I had lost the fight with the badger, but I had gained what I was really after, which wasn’t his hide, bones, or meat, it was the opportunity to really get to know an animal such as the badger.  To discover first hand what is really behind the reputation of this tenacious little beast, to uncover his weakness, and in the end, to walk away marveling at the toughness of the badger.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline cracker

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 04:59:39 pm »
WOW what a story well told did you get to keep you"re job? Maybe you could move up and try a wolverine or a black bear next time. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline SA

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
wow what a story, good thing you didn't come out seriously hurt ;) i do land surveying and run into all kinds of wildlife but i have no desire to tangle w/ them unless  i have to . so whats next?  (i say wolverine  :) )
Shawn Acker