Author Topic: New Bow . . . Quad lam mistake killer shooter.  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

New Bow . . . Quad lam mistake killer shooter.
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:20:04 pm »
I love Ipe.  Just thought I'd put that out there. 

So I glued this bow up as a 4 layer bow.  4 Noodles went into the oven and came out a club.  Also my reflex form has on occasion bitten me.  Usually I put spacer blocks under the tip and occasionally handle area.  I use sedges and rubber clamps to get everything where I want it.  It looks right going in and then with the heat the wood softens and one part sucks down between the form and the spacer block at a different radius than the other end.  This was the worst ever.  One end is a recurve and the other a reflex.  It took more string follow than I expected.  I was trying to keep as much draw weight as possible.  My aim was like 70 lbs or so.  It was a 71" long bow but in trying to figure out my nocks I piked it to 68"  Then I confused sides as if they aren't clearly marked or something, and double removed from one side creating a hinge... once I got all that mostly worked out it's at about 53#. 

I THINK the tiller is about as good as it's going to get given the different ends.  It actually shoots well given the right arrow.  All my arrows are different spine weights right now but I have one with an obsidian tip that just works well with this bow, it's fast straight and seems to be almost thought controlled.

These aren't not real skins but the fabric one from Rudder Bows.  My bamboo backing was flawed with a crack which I flooded with Urac and smoothed off.  It is installed with TB3. 

Bow woods are Ipe, Carbonized Bamboo, Hickory, and bamboo.  Nock tips are African Blackwood but I think it's Ebony.  It looks and smells different from the last bits of Blackwood I worked with.

considering trading it away if anyone wants it.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:54:59 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: New Bow . . . Quad lam mistake killer shooter.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »
But it has me wondering if a true recurve in longer lengths (62" - 68") would work as a round bellied bow?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »
Beautiful bow,love the finish work,looks fast,how about a full draw. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »
regardless of your form troubles I think that came out very nice. But full draw is needed ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:04 pm »
Hard to tell, but from the brace it looks like the upper limb may be stiffer?  It might shoot better flipped upside down.

How do you like those fabric "skins"?  I sure love the look of copperheads, but they're not exactly easy to come by.  You finished that one off real nice, despite the troubles you had.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »
heck I wish my mistakes came out that good ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:37:32 pm »
  Nice lookin' bow!!  good job

Offline hatcha

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:30 pm »
Hard to tell, but from the brace it looks like the upper limb may be stiffer?  It might shoot better flipped upside down.

Was thinking something similar.

Still...  a beautifully finished bow!  Nice job :)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:15:26 pm »
it's actualy the lower limb that is stiff.  That made such a difficult tillering job.  Trying to compensate for the different tips. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
Really nice job. Beautiful curves.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »
Really nice job. Beautiful curves.

Thanks. . .  it was a complete accident.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »
how do those skins look up close 'cause in the pics they look pretty good, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »
they look pretty good till you get REAL close.  Then you can see that the shadow for the texture is a graphic print.  And you can kinda see the fabric texture.  I put mine on with Tight bond three on both sides.  I also worked in a coat of Danish oil but I don't recomend that ... it wasn't necessary.

Then I built a a bit of shelac.  I'll wax it later.  I'm taking it bow fishing to shoot it in this weekend.

I think I'd trade it away for Either or some combination of

a buck skin, Yew belly wood for another bow or two? ?

Real snake skins?

The money shot.  I'm a 28" draw to the corner of my mouth.

I want them to be safe so I try to over draw them once or twice.  Just wanted to make sure it was stable.  I trust this bow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:43 pm »
That's a pretty wood combination and a lot of attention to detail. But it looks like you need to scrape a little off the top 8-10" of limb so they both fold over flat at full draw. You can se where your string is hitting the one limb and not the other in the picture that shows the bow strung.
 Also pulling it to full draw or farther with a fist full of string will change the look of the tiller and weaken the wood at your desired 28".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »
Can't comment on your tiller....I'll leave that to the more experienced bowyers out there. I can, however, comment on the looks of the bow. All I can say is WOW! The combination looks really good. Fine detail. Not sure how you can say you might trade it already....I guess I'm a little more sentimental. I'd have to keep her.....at least a while.... :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA