Author Topic: Hi Folks  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Bilbobaggins

Hi Folks
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:29 am »
Hi everyone. I'm new to traditional archery. I was working on trying to make a bow the past few weeks, but havent had any success. I have read TBB 1 & 2 and The Bent Stick. I think my biggest problem is that I feel like I'm rushing because I don't have anything to shoot yet. I also have such limited time having young kids and work and a wife in nursing school. So I think the best option for me is to buy a bow. So I need help. I need something that is very basic/primitive that will help me learn to shoot and will give me an idea of what I want my staves to turn into. I am on a budget so 700$ bows are out of my league.

Here is what I what: a sinew/rawhide/backed? flatbow with no cut in arrow rest(I want to rest on my hand) that pulls around 40-45 pounds. Im probably going to have to buy arrows with it too. Something basic that will last me a long time with a lot of use. Or perhaps a plains indian short bow, if someone wants to explain to me about shooting a short draw length?

I'm really new at primitive archery, but it is really exciting. I have already enjoyed playing with my new hatchet wandering thte forest and cutting out a few ash staves..

I really need help. Are there any bowyers I should look into or avoid?

THank you for any help in advance...(and yes I did a lot of searching on google about this issue)

Offline Josh B

Re: Hi Folks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:15:29 am »
You might be better off to have someone take you under their wing so to speak.  There is probably a bowyer fairly close to you, depending of course on what region of the world you live in.  Reading is good, but instruction is better.  I believe you will find that the folks on here love to pass on their addiction, I mean knowledge .   ;)  >:D Josh

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:41 am »
Bilbo, here is a link for Gordon's hazel bow build along. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

And Gordon's Yew recurve with hand tools build along. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html

There are many other build a longs here on PA, these are just my favorite. Would suggest follow theses and figure out how to make your own. It makes bows much cheaper that way. Or if you want the easy route and less fun www.3riversarchery.com and www.rudderbows.com have kits and cheap bows for sale. God Bless, Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:04 am »
Bilbo, what city/state do you live in? (other than the Shire) So you could get together with other bowyers. That's the best way to learn. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:07:47 am »
I understand where you are coming from, though I started differently. I picked up a cheep bow off sleezbay after I decided to give archery a try, and before I decided that I want to start making bows.

That rushed feeling might not end until you get your own bow built. It's a constant battle with myself over that. I have to tell my self regularly that I'm not in a hurry, and that I need to take my time. If you can, find someone that can teach you in person, that would be great! Frankly, I wish I had that option!!!

JS
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:51 am »
First off welcome and primitive is the only way to go!
I can help if you want to PM me.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:58 am »
I feel your pain as well, especially the part of your wife in nursing school. That sucked, no nice way to describe that. Quick fix would be a board bow, thats how I got started, actually 4 years later I'm still making board bows and loving it. Welcome to PA, and good luck my friend. Looking forward to seeing your bow in the future.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Bilbobaggins

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:20:55 am »
Thank you guys for responding. Actually I did see Gordon's build a long. I have also been to poor folk bows and searched bow build alongs for weeks now. It's really a time issue. I do want to build one, but I haven't even shot a true longbow yet. I just want to get stump shooting and let the bow building run at a more relaxed pace. Without knowing the feel of a good longbow, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to build I guess. I know it would just be easier to make a bundle stick bow, but That's not the direction I want to go.

I have looked at rudder bows, but there seems to be a lack of detailed  reviews on the bows from there.

On a side thought..how long will a decent bow last me? Would it be better to look a slightly more modern bow? I like the look of Martin stick, but they don't appear to make that anymore.

Thank you guys for your help. Oh and how long did you board bow last? I did look at Milton cables thebowandarrow.com but again... No reviews.

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:30 am »
Bilbo I built a hickory bow for my son when he was about 10 he is now 25 and the bow still shoots. I have built a few board bows that are now 3 or 4 years old and they are still good to go. I'm no expert but it seems to me that a good board bow should last for years may a lifetime and a stave bow if well made should last a lifetime. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
  I hav stave bow my own personal that some are over 15 years old and have 100,000 arrows but through them. The still very shootable. I have quite a few bows out there and I know 3 people that keep in touch and there bows are from 12 to 16 years old. They've told me that bows are just fine.So I say a well made stave bow taken care of will last a long time along time.
  My old friend and mentor crooketarrow showed be bows that were as old as in the high 20s.
  So I'd say a well built stave bow taken care of would last a long time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »
Welcome to the group

Quote: "So I think the best option for me is to buy a bow."

I bought my first selfbow (July 2011) because I had no idea what one should feel like. It along with some excellent tutorials. build alongs and some great support here has aloud me to build a few decent bows of my own. I have the Yew bow I bought that is in the low 40's. I've shot the snot out of it and it has some set. If you draw 27"s or less (any more than that and it might be a problem) I'll send it to you to use. It helped me and may inspire you in your own builds. When your done with it send it back and maybe it will help the next the next guy.

As far as learning to shoot.... draw, hit your anchor and release...  no Olympic stuff holding at full draw...

The man that built it was a pretty good bowyer and it shoots pretty good :)

If this interests you send me a PM
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:30:33 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:46:04 pm »
Wow Kip, that's a great offer.

Judging by some of the bows you have made, that bow on offer has to be infused with karma or something...
I'd jump at that for sure.

Mike

Offline Bilbobaggins

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »
Wow coaster, That is a very generous offer. I really appeciate it, but I'm under the impression that I have a 28 inch draw. Besides I'm up in Michigan and The change of moisture might affect it. It would feel like watching someone baby and theres no way I could handle if something were to happen to it...BUT...you could reveal the bowyers website?

I am going to build a bow...But when the wife says:"You should just buy your first one, heres how much you should spend to get a bow..."

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »
He doesn't have a website....  not a pro just a guy like the rest of us with an addiction  >:D
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »
    Bilbo - I have a 48# @ 28" hickory backed flatbow that I built for a guy who insisted on paying for a bow. The finish turned out less than perfect, and since he was paying for it, it was not good enough. The bow itself turned out just fine. If you pay the shipping you can have it. I just shipped a bow to Kentucky for about $50.00 counting the shipping tube, so that's about what you could expect it to cost you.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.