Author Topic: Ocean Spray tiller check  (Read 4493 times)

Offline aaron

Ocean Spray tiller check
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
I'm close to finishing this Ocean Spray bow for my girlfriend. It's 54 inches long, 1 1/8 wide. Draws about 25 pounds  at 25 inches. I'm looking for some fresh eyes on the final tiller.going for bendy handle / arc of circle.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:59:40 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline half eye

Re: Ocean Spray tiller check
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »
sure looks arc of circle to this old man 8) dont believe it needs any more tiller work if it's where you want it for weight.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
I agree with the ol' man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
Keep staring at it, pretty soon it will start looking totally off! LOL.  :)  looks great to me, give it to her and go shooting.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »
if anything the top outer third is a bit stiff, but i like the tips a little stiff, i'd shoot the snot out of it just like it is, nice job, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »
I agree with Bubby.  It's totally shootable right now, but if you wanted to fine tune a bit, the top limb just past mid limb looks a hair stiff.  I can't wait to try ocean spray.  Seems like great stuff.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »
Looking good aaron! I would say it looks good to me that top limb looks to have a little reflex when unbraced so that might be some of what bubby and rossfactor are seeing :-\ If it feels good and shoots good put a finish on it! Nice work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »
your right Josh, i just saw that after reading your post, like i said, shoot the snot outta it >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
Sweet bow, tiller looks great to me. I like those tips. Think I might do some of those myself.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
Tiller looks good Aaron! Don't you just love that stuff. It's one of my favs anymore. Looks like you already got some type of finish on it already. Sorta dark and orc-ish. Is that bark on or off?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:01 pm »
Looks good to me..... Realy love those tips!
Steve Bennett

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:05 pm »
Thanks, everyone. I too think the top limb is a little stiff in the outer third.
randman- yes I am loving ocean spray - this is only my second OS bow. No bark on this one, but a home made black stain, which i also pre-stained the sinew wraps with. First i got a bottle of white vinegar and added 3 pads of 0000 steel wool- let sit one week.next i applied some strong black tea to the wood (or sinew) i also put tea in the hide glue for the sinew. Then, i put the vinegar in a spray bottle (not the rusty steel wool or the sediment, just the vinegar, which looks mostly clear). when you spritz on the vinegar, a chemical reaction occurs , turning it all black. If you omit the tea, you get various grey hues.
As far as the tips go, they could be way narrower, but i like them too. I started with a small ring of pronghorn horn, boiled it for an hour and squashed it flat in a clamp. Next I carved both nocks into the horn, cutting them apart at the end. This made carving easier 'cos I could hold onto one while carving the other.
Tillering was tricky due to all the small wiggles and bumps, so i used my usual trick of measuring tiller by drawing straight lines on the sides of the bow and then measuring the bend of the lines (photos below).
I am making a handle out of cork, which will give a nice round cross section to the bow which is now a half-circle cross section at the handle.
The stave had potential to become a 40 pounder at least, and I had to restrain myself from making ME another bow,, when what i really need is to get the girlfriend into archery.
Thanks to Josh, Elktracker, we cut the stave in his "back yard".
I'll have to put the most of the photos into another post, I am having "issues".
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:01 pm »
aaron is this the 1 1/2" stave?

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline aaron

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »
photos
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »
yeah,, josh , this is the biggest stave from that day. arent you at the knap-in?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA