Author Topic: brazillian rosewood?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline blackpanem

brazillian rosewood?
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:30:58 am »
my friend recently redid his bathroom and had some brazillian rosewood floorboards left over. i was wondering if it would work for a nice 'n pretty bow?

Offline sleek

Re: brazillian rosewood?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:51 am »
I made a real dandy one of brazilian cherry... give it a go and see. Probably no difference in wood. Though I wont promise that...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:58:16 am »
I believe it's hard enough that some plane makers use it for all wood plane bodies and soles.  Check HNT Gordon planes.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:59 am »
I'm pretty sure it is not Brazilian rosewood floorboards. Please ask your friend again for the name of the wood. Brazilian rosewood is about the most expensive wood in the world; it was never used in floorings.
Probably Brazilian walnut or Brazilian cherry? Better known as ipé and jatoba respectively.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure it is not Brazilian rosewood floorboards. Please ask your friend again for the name of the wood. Brazilian rosewood is about the most expensive wood in the world; it was never used in floorings.
Probably Brazilian walnut or Brazilian cherry? Better known as ipé and jatoba respectively.

I do know it is rare to see on a guitar nowadays. Now all you see is indian rosewood really. Some company even bought up all the stumps a while back, you can tell if a Brazilian Rosewood guitar is a stump wood guitar because it will be really pretty with very pretty grains patterns. I also think if he used brazilian rosewood for his flooring he would have to be a gazilionare.  :laugh:
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:41 am »
I can almost guarantee it's not Brazilian Rosewood. It's extremely protected and illegal to buy, sell and import these days. Think the same category as elephant ivory. They even confiscate Braz. Rosewood guitars being transported over international borders if you can't absolutely prove it is over 35+ years old or so (or made out of wood that old). Martin guitars still has some logs that they acquired many years ago (they are almost single handedly responsible for it being near extinction) and they treat it like gold and save for repairs on vintage guitars. If they do make guitars out of any of it (think $30,000) they have to provide ironclad provenance for the source and age of the wood.

Brazilian Cherry is very common, farm raised and readily available for flooring so I think it's more than likely Brazilian cherry. Sleek can tell you what a nice bow that'll make for ya.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:41:49 am »
Agreed with what been said above. I guarantee they aren't using rosewood for a floor! The stuff is beautiful. I've seen a bowl turned from a true rosewood burr and seriously it is one of the most beautiful things my eyes have ever seen.