Author Topic: 1st bow that hasnt exploded  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Aunakesu

1st bow that hasnt exploded
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
I made a 2 red oak board bows that were pretty nice shooters until they snapped.  I cut this white oak down myself and actually tillered it green (big mistake, I know) I was in a rush and just wanted something to do.  This bow tillered out to 75lbs at 28 I left the tips real thick because of a knot near the top tip.  I didn't really like it much, and it sat around drying for over a year..A few months ago I was working on an Ash bow that blew up when I got aggressive with the tiller string..which left me nothing to work on; so I decided a few weeks ago I'd narrow the tips and see if I could make the white oak better.  I made the grip smaller and lowered the poundage down to 65.  Did my hardest to work a lot of the propeller twist out.  got most of it..  Its got massive set since it was tillered green but it still manages to shoot a 485gn arrow at 150fps.  Its got a leather grip from a old jacket and I stained it with two different colors of minwax and sealed with tung oil.  I really love bow making; have some Hickory staves being seasoned as I type this and Im going to take a ash limb that looks like it will make a good bow.  Here's the only two pics I have of it so far.   

Offline Dazv

Re: 1st bow that hasnt exploded
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
very nice looking bow any chance of a full drawpic??? Congrats on your first im looking forward to seeing your next!!!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
white oak is pretty bullet proof. but waiting for your staves to season is difficult especially when you cut one that you know is gonna make a missile launcher. but it is necessary. if you want to speed the process up. rough out the bow and clamp it down. leave it.
you probably already know this.

i absolutely love white oak. it response well to heat tempering, and will take much less set.

lets see a full draw pic  :laugh:
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Aunakesu

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:56:23 am »
full draw

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »
It shouldnt explode with a tiller like that and a good beginning board. Nice job.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:59:23 pm »
Way to go!  Congratulations.
1’—>1’

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:03:13 pm »
that is a great tiller.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »