Author Topic: The Hunger Game  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
The Hunger Game
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:54:10 am »
   Marcia(my wife) and I were talking just this evening about how much archery has been in the media lately. I love it! 
    I guess we will be getting lots of young folks(maybe some oldies too) wanting to know how to make a "Hunger Game" bow. This is cool! With a little thoughtfulness on our part we can give Primitive Archer Magazine and our website a real boost.  8)  We might get the opportunity to teach a portion of these newly enthused archers how to build enexpensive but effective bows.  8)
  Traditional archery has been on an upswing for a while now and primitive archery seems to be one of the fastest growing aspect of the traditional archery movement. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Keeping a positive attitude about "our" love of archery will boost the interest. The more interest in primitive archery, the more interest in Primitive Archer! ...and that is COOL!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: The Hunger Game
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:17:49 am »
 Yep !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:33:30 pm »
I've already seen on other sites where people are saying their kids are interested in archery because of the movie.  I think it's great, strike while the iron is hot.

A friend of mine is in the movie, by the way.  Teaching archery, no less, from what I hear.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
They filmed part of it here at the Dupont State Forest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »
Has anyone read the sequels or know the story line of the sequels very well?  Are there any scenes where large quantities of arrows are being used?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
I agree archery has been in movies more and more it seems. I was watching Thor and a compound bow was used while guarding the hammer as a last resort.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:38:29 pm by Pat B »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
Has anyone read the sequels or know the story line of the sequels very well?  Are there any scenes where large quantities of arrows are being used?

My wife and kids have read the books.  I'll ask them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 02:16:45 am »
My wife and I tried to go watch it tonight, but it was sold out. I don't know much about the books or the movie. Is the movie any good?

Great idea Pat to piggy back some on all the hype the movie is generating in regard to Primitive Archery.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:24 am »
I heard that John Scifres from TG made the bows for the movie.  Don't know if that's true or not.  I read it on a hunting indiana forum.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »
Probably one of the best looking bows and arrows I've seen used in a movie for a long time.

Her form leaves something to be desired but cool lookin equipment!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Kolton

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:27:17 pm »
My wife and I tried to go watch it tonight, but it was sold out. I don't know much about the books or the movie. Is the movie any good?

Great idea Pat to piggy back some on all the hype the movie is generating in regard to Primitive Archery.

Cipriano
i saw a trailer for the movie it looked really cool

Kolton
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
Crazy popular books with the high school kids.(I'm a high school science teacher)
I started reading the first one for a few minutes when it was sitting in my room.  I looked at the trailers and thought it looked pretty silly, though.
Be curious to hear tomorrow what the students thought of the movie...
I've already had a boat-load of students want me to teach them to make a bow.  It's a little funny, legally.  Not quite sure what to do.  Wouldn't it be great if you could trust people to not blame you for accidents, if they happened?   ::)
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 05:58:15 pm »
What is the "Hunger Games"? I take it from the post it's a movie? What's it about?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hatcha

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »

Finishing the third book at the monent - about 40 pages or so from the end.  The books are VERY good!!  I agree with the quote by Stephen King - "...couldn't put it down..."

First book had that affect on me and the others only increased it!

My wife read them before me (technically, we've both read all three books inside a week) so we had low expectations for the film adaptation of the first book.

Nothing prepared us for the butcher job that played out before us.

Cipriano

My advice to anyone interested in the notion of The Hunger Games...  Spend your money on the books, not the cinema.  But each to their own.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 12:07:31 am »
The books are better than the movie ( as always) but I would say they compliment each other. I remember hearing that they where getting young people intrested especially girls, saw a few girls that wanted a bow in acadamy about a week after it came out.
I like free stuff.