Author Topic: Maple id?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Judo Point

Maple id?
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:27 am »
I split and roughed out a stave from this last October and was pretty confident it was sugar maple but after reading some posts I'm not sure now. Could someone maybe confirm it for me?

Both logs are from the same tree

Thanks!

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Maple id?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:24:07 am »
Hard to say.  Sugar maple usually has very smooth bark until it gets to about 8-12" diameter, if it grew in the woods.  If it grows in the open, the bark will be rougher, but it's usually a lot finer grained than what I see there.  The one on the right in the first pic looks like what I've seen, and possibly the one on the left, but the middle looks more like oak to me.  The pics of the splitting look like oak to me, and maple generally splits cleanly, since the grain is not cross linked.  JMO

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:05:28 am »
The only thing I can say is it's not a maple because of the way it's splitting.

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:02:11 am »
Uhmm! Interesting. Well it's definitely maple I seen the leaves but just not sure it's sugar or not I think it is. In the top pic the log to the far right is an ash and the two on the left are from the same tree with maple leaves. I'm pretty sure it's sugar cause that's mostly what we have but I guess we do have some soft maple too so I'm not positive. Well I appreciate your input and I'm curious to hear some more thoughts on this.

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:44 am »
The notches at the bottom of the leaf lobes are U-shaped on sugar maple, soft maples have v-shaped lobes. I cant tell if what you got there is sugar maple or not.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »
  Most maples have a fairly smooth bark.  Water maples the ones you see that have the leaves turn backwards when storms aproch. Leaves are lighter green and pointly. Just by the bark I'd say water maple.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING