Author Topic: linen/turkey feather backed maple finished pics  (Read 20671 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: linen/turkey feather backed maple finished pics
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:35 am »
Very unique bow with the feathers, and all.  I like it when we are creative with decorations.  Very nice.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:16 pm »
Very cool!
1’—>1’

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 01:24:10 pm »
Very nice eye candy. How did you apply the feather backing?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
Very nice. I echo the request to see the back some more. I too want to know how the feathers were applied. Very cool idea.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline druid

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »
Good work man!!!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »
Never seen that done....   looks fantastic!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
I believe the feathers were layed down like shingles from the tips down the limb...and glued with regular ol' Elmers white glue...With a coat of glue over the feathers,as it dries clear
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:11 pm »
Thank you guys for the compliments. I did use Elmers to glue them down. Not as easy as it may sound. I can offer a few pointers that may save you guys a headache and a few cuss words. I use the word "may" loosely. After some trial and error this is what i came up with. First lay down a size coat of elmers. I only worked on a quarter of the limb area at a time. It took a hour for each session. Next I watered some elmers down. Do this in a conatainer that is long enough to drag the feather thru. Make sure the feather is completely coated and give a little shake to get the heavy stuff off. Now lay the feather down on the bow. The feather has a natural cup so be sure to get the air bubble out. I kept a glass of water and a towel handy for my hands. It helps a bunch if your finger is wet when your trying to lay them down nice. Just a a word to the wise....the more you mess with it the worse it gets. Get them laying nice and leave them alone. I made the mistake of coming back later to try to fix a few areas and only made it worse....I ended up taking that layer off because I really messed it up. Now just continue laying them down like shingles on a roof. The next day I watered some elmers down and brushed a coat over the feathers. After the bow is completely backed a put a few coats of spray poly over the feathers then top with several coats of tru-oil. You definately want a good seal because the elmers is water reversable....Never had a problem....I use it on my snake skins too. I would recommend putting a dark coat of stain under the feathers to hide any separations. You'll see in the pictures that i touched up with a sharpie. At a arms length you don't even see where i touched up. Hope this helps....I'm no expert at this but I can say this method worked for me

Jon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:54 am »
Really a great Job....  beautiful!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:33 am »
ya man ya,nice stick!! nailed the tiller!!

Offline dmc

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 12:56:52 am »
I'm always amazed at the creativity of people on this forum! Great job, enjoyed the close up pics.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 01:12:09 am »
That is awesome man!! I love it. What a great idea! That really looks nice thanks for sharing!

Offline rps3

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 01:24:40 am »
I thought that full draw picture was great until I saw the feather work. Spectacular.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 07:30:38 am »
That is really cool  :o do you get the color change on the feathers when you move the bow?man i would love to see that one in person...great job ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 08:18:45 am »
Thank you Coaster,dron, dmc, judo point and rps3

Thank you soy...The colors do shift in the light....pretty cool effect

Maybe next I try this I'll do a step by step tuturiol and post it in the "How to section"

Thank you for looking

Jon