Author Topic: Does hunting in high temperature/hot sun affect selfbows?  (Read 8045 times)

Offline shaun748

Does hunting in high temperature/hot sun affect selfbows?
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:35 pm »
Curious if anyone has noticed any thing in this regard..Was out for opening weekend bear season and temps were about 95 degrees in the afternoon and the sun would warm up the bow quite a bit... I have a hickory flatbow so it probably helped the moisture content.
 I keep my bow braced for several hours in such conditions, though I have not noticed any excessive string follow, I am curious if this could induce additional set.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Does hunting in high temperature/hot sun affect selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:45:27 pm »
I'm sure heat and humidity effect self bows. As a matter of fact, a yew bow should not be used in very cold conditions because it gets brittle and will explode. I have made 2 sinew backed bows(one osage, one hickory) and depending on the heat and humidity, they could change in weight from 45# to over 70#. I think that a self bow is less effected by heat and humidity than a sinew backed bow, and that depending on the wood as to how much or how quickly this can happen.
   When we correct crooks in a stave or want to add reflex we use heat...some wet, some dry. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:23:22 am »
It depends a lot on the bow I am sure.  I have taken my osage selfbow out and kept it strung in the extreme heat, and I was not happy with the results.  It feels sluggish when it gets really hot.  It also takes it longer to recover back to the 1" reflex after being unstrung.  It does eventually come back to the same profile, but you have to wait.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:43 am »
I've shot selfbows in 95 degrees and 0 degrees. Nothing happened to them that didn't happen to me at those temps.  Humidity, depending on the wood, does affect their performance. The 2 extremes are osage and hickory. Hickory gets really sluggish in the humidity and does  take a set. Osage not so much. If I've had to leave a selfbow in a hot car I'll wait until it cools in the shade before stringing it. In the cold, most wooden bows get a little harder to draw in the cold. Pretty stiff. Just like my joints. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:20:54 am »
What Jawges said,If I am hunting or just out shooting in extreme weather,hot/cold/wet
I just rest them when ever I get the chance.If I take a little break I give my bow a break also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

MattE

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:41:30 pm »
Yes, temperature change will affects a  selfbows performance and it doesn't take much! I shot a tournament with a self bow I made. It was early in the day about 8:00 . I could not keep my arrows from going left. The arrows were spined to stiff. They wern't when I tuned the bow? I stepped down in spine to 45# and the arrows were dead on. We shot a novelty shoot about 12:00 now the bow wanted the arrows I originally set up for it. I now keep two to three different spined arrows in reserve.

a finnish native

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 12:44:06 pm »
I have been shooting when -45 centigrade to 30 centigrade and have not noticed any difference in the performance of the bow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:28:52 pm »

i've had hickory bows turn to a noodle in 90 dg heat and the swamp starting steaming around 10 in the morning.Also had two bamboo backed osage bows blow to hell in back when it was below 35 dgr.here.I don't know if the humidity when it was that cold contributed to it or not.But I don't hunt with my laminated bows when it gets cold.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:52:02 pm »
I guess I should specify what extreme heat is.  It is not unusual to see temps of 113*. If your bow is in the sun, it can get so hot you can hardly touch it.  Its kind of like heat treating a bow on accident.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:45 am »
I've not noticed any difference here. I don't use a bow at less than -20 C as it gets hard on the fingers to shoot and I don't hunt when it's hot.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 08:44:07 pm »
  Marc,Our archery season starts Sept. 22.It usually is in the low 90's and about 65 percent humidity.Forget scent block here,just hunt the slight breeze. ;D and change into dry clothes at lunch.
Lakeland, Florida

Robinwho

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:58 pm »
I have never had any problems, i hunted pigs down here when it was 97 last week 105 in the sun and left the bow for hours on the ATV and nothing changed.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:31 pm »
   ATV, :o :o :o :o Oh my ;) You live in Fl?
Lakeland, Florida

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:39:56 am »
Just don't leave the bow in the car with the windows rolled up when its over 100 outside. No selfbow, or laminate likes to hang out in  130+ from what I have seen. (It wasn't pretty :o)

Rich

Offline shaun748

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 01:33:02 am »
Interesting replies and experiances..I am in California so the area I was hunting was about 45% humidity at 95 degrees and my bow got hot to touch so I would sit it in the shade for a a minute to cool it down.

I was expecting more set( though I use a low brace height which helps in this regard), but no more than 1/8 inch change at most, however today I put it on the scale and it had gained about 2 pounds...

As someone said I basically toated the belly so mabye it gained from the heat/low humidity..