Author Topic: QUESTION ABOUT A BOW  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Blacktail

QUESTION ABOUT A BOW
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:07:29 pm »
all right...there is a guy that i go to church with and he would like a bow made by me....and that is great...BUT,the guy is 6,1-6,4 tall and i don't know what draw length to shoot for...i was thinking 28 but i don't know if that would be even safe....the wood i am using will be dogwood...i cant wait to get cracking....john

Offline missilemaster

Re: QUESTION ABOUT A BOW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:54 pm »
Simple!! Ask his perferred draw weight and measure his draw length.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »
I am 6' 1" and have a 30" draw.  So he could be at least that.  Depends on his arm length.  Measure his wingspan then figure it.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »
Wingspan divided by 2.5 will get you real close. I have a friend who is 7'1" and has a 35" draw who asked me to build him a bow a while back and I told him id have to study on it for a while.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:06:35 am »
i'm 6'3" and draw 29"
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:39 am »
I am 6' 1" and have a 30" draw.  So he could be at least that.  Depends on his arm length.  Measure his wingspan then figure it.
yeah, do his knuckles drag the ground? >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:13 am »
His style of shooting can dictate his draw length also. I'm 5'8" and draw 26" but if I used an olympic style of shooting I would draw at least 28". Instead I use the G. Fred Asbel style of instinctive shooting which is a more fluid style.
 You could take him shootring and when he is comfortable with shooting a bow measure his draw length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mitch

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 03:01:06 am »
well im 6' 3'' and my draw length is 31''  ;D
"Any old stick will do for a bow, but the arrow gets the deer." Ishi

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:10 am »
John,

Most guys that tall are going to draw somewhere around 30".
Gordon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:56 am »
thanks so much for the info....at least now i have some what to shoot for....30'' is the most i have done so this will be fun...

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:27 am »
His style of shooting can dictate his draw length also. I'm 5'8" and draw 26" but if I used an Olympic style of shooting I would draw at least 28". Instead I use the G. Fred Asbel style of instinctive shooting which is a more fluid style.
 You could take him shootring and when he is comfortable with shooting a bow measure his draw length.

I'm 6'2" and I only draw 28" shooting instinctive style, but you should probably plan on a 30" draw, in case he uses a more upright, wide open style.  Compound shooters are usually taught that way, with the bow vertical to align the sight pins.  If you put an unstrung bow in his hand, with an arrow on the shelf and held to his anchor point, you can measure that as a starting point, and tiller the bow out to that measurement for safety.  In reality, the compression on his shoulders will take a couple inches of that measurement.  For example:  When I am measured that way, my draw is 30".  When I actually draw a 50# bow, my draw length measures 28".  When I make a bow for myself, I aim for 50# at 28", but I make sure to tiller it out to 30" for safety, in case I get excited and overdraw.  Hope this helps.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:19:57 am »
Better check for sure and I mean actually measure. I got roped into building bows for a friend and his son.  My friend is 6'1" and draws 35".  His son is 6'3" and draws 36".  It's a challenge making bows for them.  Josh   

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:10 am »
I have a 37# glass longbow I keep around just to measure people's draw length.  I put a full length arrow on the bow, have them close their eyes, draw and anchor.  Everybody can hold that bow at full draw.  I stick a piece of tape on the arrow at the bow back and then have them let down.  Works every time as their real draw length at heavier weights will be a little shorter.  I need to build a long rattan bow for that purpose.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:43:43 am »
Better check for sure and I mean actually measure. I got roped into building bows for a friend and his son.  My friend is 6'1" and draws 35".  His son is 6'3" and draws 36".  It's a challenge making bows for them.  Josh
Yeah right!
35"  :o My pet Orangutang can't even draw 35" ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:17 am »
Build it for a 32" draw and dont look back.  You cant buy production shafts any longer anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.