Author Topic: I hate the suburbs  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Dictionary

I hate the suburbs
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:27 pm »
The sound of cars hissing by all night long outside your window. People watching you in your backyard from their back window. And most of all, the damn dog next door(and throughout the neighborhood), who is rather quiet during the day, going on a rampage barking throughout the entire night until 4 a:m, leaving you with about 2 hours worth of deep sleep. I am not looking forward to tonight.

Those of you who have your closest neighbor 1 mile down the road and such, i envy you.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

Re: I hate the suburbs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »
There are positives and negatives anywhere you live.  I live at the dead end of a county road and my closest neighbors are my parents and my sister and her family.  It is peaceful and quiet and no spying neighbors, which is a good thing because I pee in the yard as much as the dogs do  ;D  The bad thing about living here is the drive to work, stores, school, and about everything else.  I drive an hour one way to work  :(   Also the response time in case of an emergency. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:37 am »
Clint is right. I live in town, but I have gotten used to it.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:35:16 am »
I also live in the country, I love the peace and quiet!!  I really dont mind driving into town for everything.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:48:57 am »
I have lived both ways.  Grew up in the country, moved to a small city to go to tech school, then to a Chicago suburb to work.  After 15 years of that I decided I'd had enough city and moved to rural Nebraska an hour away from work.  Shot deer and turkeys in my yard and could cast for bass off my deck.  After 17 years of that I moved back to the city.  In the end, giving up 2 hours a day for that drive was more than I was willing to give.  We live on a 1 acre lot now, but it's still a development.  I hope the next move will be the last one when I retire though the wife and I haven't talked through where that'll be.  It'll surely be influenced by where the grandchildren are.  I'm hoping it'll be in Texas...in the country.

The good news is that I built bows in all of those circumstances and locations.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:56 am »
I agree completely with you.  I am in town now.  I grew up for awhile on the plains in CO where the nearest neighbor was over a mile away.  I loved that.  Now, I have frickin neighbors who let their dog run wild in the neighborhood and crap in other peoples lawns.  And let their kids run wild too.  Had two neighbors last year almost get into a brawl because one of the kids rode their trike down our driveway and ran into our garage door.  Amazingly, it wasn't me in the near brawl.  But the police came, the whole 9 yards.  Now last night, the same kid was riding down the driveway again!  I think last night it would have been me in the brawl.

And I can't shoot my bow outside unless I am very careful.  I live on a main road.  So the police cars drive past all the time.  I have to stand at the edge of my garage and shoot into the garage.  Only about 10 yards. 

I envy the country livers out there!!!  And I hope to go back to that as soon as possible.
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:20 am »
I hate them too Dictionary. Matter of fact I dont even like small towns. No people, no cars and no nise is bettter for us. Heck our nearest "town" is no less than 45 minutes away. I have hundreds of bows growing within 20 yards of my back deck. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:38 am »
"Thank God Im A Country Boy"  ;D  :laugh:

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:34:13 am »
I live at the end of a dead end road in the county but have neighbors about 150 yards away, one with 4 or 5 dogs. One of her dogs would bark 15 to 20 thousand times in an evening after the sun goes down, I counted the 3 to5 barks every 2 seconds and did the math. This barking would go on well into the night and resume at 4:30am when the paper man made his rounds.

I did a little research and found that all cites and most counties have a nuisance barking ordinance that they do enforce.

The way it works, you file a complaint with the local animal control officer, he drives out and explains the ordinance with the dog owner. If the dog owner doesn't control the barking you go to the city or county police and have the dog owner charged with disorderly conduct. You and the dog owner go before a judge, if he finds the dog owner is guilty they have to pay a fine of around $300.

Disorderly conduct is defined as intentionally or unintentionally causing a disturbance. In this case the dog owner didn't intend to cause a disturbance by allowing her dog to bark but didn't take steps to stop it.

My dog owner neighbor is an animal lover, you can't reason with these kind of folk. After several years of trying to be nice, offfering suggestions and training advice, I demanded silence from her dogs from 10:30 at night until 7:30 in the morning  or we were going to court. That got her attention and she puts the dogs up at night.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:18:29 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »
Had the same problem Eric in a couple of places......solution for me was simple. I did not care what time of night it was I would call them, and tell them we might as well both be awake if you won't shut your dog up!! You call them a few times at 2:00 am they generally get the message. They would be wise to never let the dog loose, around me if it was a constant problem.......things disapear all the time. >:D I don't know damn dog must have chased whatever he has been barking at all this time..... 8)

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »
I hear ya Fells...

Grew up between the Beach (Crystal Beach, TX on Bolivar) and the country (zavalla, TX up near Lake Sam Rayburn).
Wound up in Houston for work... Now working on getting the Heck outa this Cesspool.

Houston was fun when I was single and Running and Gunning... Heck I owned this town and the local Blues-Rock/Folk scene.

But now that I have a Family, the Great Egress can't come fast enough.
And Nosy Neighbors and Insane Dogs are TINY irritations compared to the whole.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
That is why I do not live there! 
I used to live in town when I was in college, but, no more.  As for dogs on the lawn pee in a bottle and dump it at various areas around the perimeter of your territory. or pee in public if it doesn't bother you or get you in trouble.  I used to see bottles on rich peoples yards and discovered that they are vinegar bottles which ahve the same effect.  Ex-lax or nytol in a meat ball. paintball gun, bb gun from the garage(wait til the dog is dumping and put a bb beside their tail) >:D 
Noise ordinances do work well when used. Calls when the dogs is being annoying work well too.  We are countryesque but fall in the pervue of a scenic highway overlay and have been busted for the countryesque appearance of our property and had to deal with the county at that point.  Three dogs, six duck, three chickes(left), one goose, three grandkids and teo teenageers. (gee sounds like a christmas song)  Good luck with those challenges. OOh, OOh almost forgot!  Scoop up the offending dogs shit and get some neighborhood kid(or yourself) out the poo in a paper bag and light it on fire on the door step, just don't set the house on fire! >:D >:D

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
They would be wise to never let the dog loose, around me if it was a constant problem.......things disapear all the time. >:D I don't know damn dog must have chased whatever he has been barking at all this time..... 8)

Brian

Haha

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one thinking this.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:56 pm »

Haha

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one thinking this.

OH No... you aren't the only one... but then again I'd never type it out... per say.  >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »
Icould not take a suburb life.....no way.  Funny thing is I live in the city limits but it sure aint no city around me.  LOL  I have some neighbors in front of me and my mother in law about 300 yards away.  Cant beat the country.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II