Author Topic: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?  (Read 31672 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2012, 07:56:24 am »
You know I have thought about this a lot since it came up and all the above answers are correct ,IMO ,from the folks that has completed the first shootable to the folks that have built hundreds,different levels but all Boyer's. I am one of them folks that it took a long while, It is the same in other aspects of my life.I have been a mechanic all my life and that has been a while ;) ;D but I worked in shops and mechanised for a living for at least 5 years before I felt confrotable calling my self a mechanic,some folks I have known called their self a mechanic
when they learned to change the oil or put on a set of brakes,guess in the true since they were .It's the same with bow making with me so I guess it is when you feel good about what you do and each person is different. I am not sure their is any one answer and that is the kind of subject that always stirs the pot. Thanks for keeping it clean,just my oppion and yall know how oppions are. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
   When I first started  building bows I thought a to be a bowyer you had a bow building  bisness not the reason I strated. Never really thought of myself as a bowyer even thought I do build a few bows for money. I just like building bows the woods,fields the animals. Doing things with my own hands. All of these things it's the simple life style It's evolved into over the years.
  But I don't think of myself a bowyer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:31 am »
toomanyknots and others, the internet is a relatively recent phenomenon (thanks   Al Gore! :) ). Anyway, yes, I can remember making bows when there was no PA, LW or PP. It was fun. Experimenting was great. But this forum really adds to the experience. I think those just starting take for granted how nice it is to communicate with like minded individuals. This forum is quite a resource for the newcomer where questions can be answered, tillers critiqued, etc. Pretty neat. Thank you for mentioning it and realizing how nice this really is. I've enjoyed the opportunity this site and others affords. My haven. Thanks. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:03 pm »
toomanyknots and others, the internet is a relatively recent phenomenon (thanks   Al Gore! :) ). Anyway, yes, I can remember making bows when there was no PA, LW or PP. It was fun. Experimenting was great. But this forum really adds to the experience. I think those just starting take for granted how nice it is to communicate with like minded individuals. This forum is quite a resource for the newcomer where questions can be answered, tillers critiqued, etc. Pretty neat. Thank you for mentioning it and realizing how nice this really is. I've enjoyed the opportunity this site and others affords. My haven. Thanks. :) Jawge

Now that's what I'm talkin bout Willis :)        ........ but "Al Gore!"    ???

Eight months building bows and some success's. I'd probably still be scratchin my head trying to figure this out!!! PA is the greatest!!! Woke up a chromosome in this old desk jockey :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:16:55 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:06 pm »
Without TBB and saxon pope's hunting with the bow and arrow, id still be tieing rubber bands on honeysuckle limbs like when I was 8 and thinking they were "bows".  ;D (or I guess that one chapter in hunting with the bow and arrow, I never finished reading after he gave out those longbow dimensions lol)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Kpete

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »
Toomany...,
Do you have any honey suckle branches to trade? 

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2012, 01:40:35 pm »
lol, I can sure as heck get some kpete, are you being serious? The honeysuckle around here is amur honeysuckle.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »
coaster, take it easy. I was kidding! Calm those chromosomes. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2012, 04:41:28 pm »
Thanks for clarifyin Jawge cuz that sure would've been an 'inconvenient truth'  ;) >:D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »
It's all good Jawge   :laugh:
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »
It is amazing to see how much the level of skill  on this forum has progressed since I happened upon it nearly ten years ago.  The sheer numbers of shooters made by first timers is impressive.  The basic process of making a bow hasn't changed, but with so many more tips and techniques available here, it is much easier for a novice to have early success.  I read the first three TBBs back then, and have reread them several times since, but they can only take you so far.  Seeing all the different bows on this site, and reading about what the makers went through to get them there is invaluable.  I don't get the chance to build very often, but each time I do, the bows turn out levels above the last one, because of the knowledge I gain on this forum.  Thanks to everone :)
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Stringman

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
Kinda like walking around the world. You can see your progress everyday. But how can you tell your on the other side?!?

Bow building is a process to me that is both a public accomplishment and a personal acceivement. There are aspects of this skill that really can't be shared, just felt and understood. Then there are times when public acknowledgement helps me to realize how far I've come.

But, I'm still not to the other side...  ::)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:11 am »
I'm enjoying reading this.  I appreciate Jawge's point.  I was just thinking the other day about how great it is to have the internet to learn about things so quickly! I thought how hard it would be to learn to make bows if I couldn't just go over to my computer and read Gordon's build alongs or all the many other very well put together build alongs or just click over to Jawge's site or others....It's so awesome! 
I consider myself lucky.  I am lucky that so many cool people gather in one place and are willing to share!

I think making bows is the most difficult simple thing I've ever done.   

It's amazing to think that bending a stick, putting a string on it and launching another stick can be such a complicated yet simple process.  It's simple in concept and very often difficult in execution.  I think most would agree that there have been bows that just seemed like the most agonizing frustrating and satisfying to build and others just seem to happen with out much effort...strange.

The idea seems so straight forward then add to it all the variations and combinations and variety of woods and glues and tools and other materials not to mention the seemingly infinite kinds of designs and styles and variations of all the above....something about it is so appealling.   The simple complexity is gripping and has a way of captivating your imagination, your mind heart and spirit all at the same time!  AWESOME!

I started making bows because the boy scouts wanted to do it for an activity and I needed to learn how to do it so I could teach them!  So after I made two bows I started teaching them....I had no choice.
We had some crappy ones some broken ones and some really nice ones but nothing can replace the smile you see and the light in their eyes when you see them shoot a bow that THEY made for the first time!  I've since taught some other scout leaders how to make bows and they are teaching their boys. 

They came over one Saturday morning and were expecting me to teach them to make a bow in an hour!  Can you imagine that?  I took them through the process, explained how we did it, showed them bows at varying stages of the process, showed them a tillering tree, explained the tillering process, told them to read TBB Vol 1 and gave them this site as references, told them it was probably a good idea to "use hickory because you have a better chance of making a bow that works even if your tillering is not great.." then sent them off thinking they would be calling me for help.  I didn't hear anything for a while.  Two months later I saw one of those guys and asked them how it was going.  He smiled and said "we're almost done."  I'm not sure if they call themselves bowyers or even if they have heard of that term but I know they are having a lot of fun. Just like we did and still are.  Now all the younger boys can't wait to move up to our group so THEY can make a bow!  ....what have I started.... ???

Anyway. Some of my thoughts on this.  I have made bows and taught others but I still feel very much like a beginner.  It seems like the more I learn the more I learn there is more to learn... :o 

Am I a bowyer.  Yep!  Probably level 2 or 3.    ;D   I look forward to the next level!

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:03 pm »
Nice story Arrowind :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »
We may be starting to figure this thing out !!

Yes Stringman its kinda like walking around the world ! How do you know when you have arrived !
I like like that !

Arrowind
That is a valueable lesson to learn !
The more you know the more you know you don't know!

Have fun on your jorney folks !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !