Author Topic: flint  (Read 2099 times)

Offline grinner

flint
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »
Hi, where do you guy buy your flint. I bought a box of pieces about 2 months ago and i am now looking for some bigger pieces. Thanks for the help

Offline Will H

Re: flint
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:06 pm »
I like to collect my flint. Saves ALOT of money  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline grinner

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:48 pm »
Here in Indiana where I am I never find any pieces big enough to knap. Most the flint I find is already work or a arrowhead. Then Indians  already got to all the good stuff.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:02:09 am »
There is alwasy something working it's way up. check creek banks/beds. Road constructions.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:15:35 am »
Bye the grace of GOD it live in a mineral rich reigon. I haven't had to buy much material. Something in an area must be somewhat knappable. You could always trade for it. We love trades here at this place.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:23 am »
Indiana hornstone is great stuff! You need to look harder  ;)  I spend my weekends in the spring and summer walking creeks with a bopper looking for material. Take a backpack and fill it up with what you think is good. Take it home and beat it up for free. I used to buy rock when I first started but I would be broke now if I bought all the rock it took me to learn.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:20 am »
Here in Indiana where I am I never find any pieces big enough to knap. Most the flint I find is already work or a arrowhead. Then Indians  already got to all the good stuff.

Where you at?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline grinner

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:27 am »
I live in Decatur just south of Fort Wayne.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:11:20 pm »
Uh oh! Tracy F is on to ya :). Talk to him! He'll send you to a hornstone rich area in Southern Indiana. Cost you a little gas and sweat..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:34:20 pm »
Grinner, pick ins are slim up your way, but you can find some rock south of you in the Peru area creeks etc. Might check Ohio sources if driving is a concern.

Tracy

Offline grinner

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »
Yeah I know picking is slim i can find anything of knappable bigger than an inch. I guess I will have to take a drive.. Thanks

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:10 am »
I can't remember exactly this little creek was just north of Peru and had some decent rock (coshocton) in spots. If you make it down my way give me ashout and give you directions

Tracy