Author Topic: first osage  (Read 1704 times)

Offline seabass

first osage
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »
hey guys,this is my first osage.58" ttt 1 1/8" at fades 45@26.also my first sinew and skin job.this wasalot of first for me so be gentle.having alot of trouble tillering.hope you like it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline paulsemp

Re: first osage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »
Nice looking bow, if anything I would get the outer 1/3 of each limb working more/ watch the all most hinge on the top limb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:06 pm »
Looks good  :)  I like the skins.  Are you bringing it to the Classic?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »
i'll bring it clint.i also have a hackberry to post but i am having trouble resizing.i suck at computers.
Middletown,Ohio

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »
I second getting the outer limbs moving more. Also the handle area is looking very stiff. That upper limb definately needs some load taking off the bending section by blending either side of it. Your lower limb looks better.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 05:37:50 pm »
thanks guys.i know it is not perfect.i was learning to do alot of things at once.i am getting better.thanks again.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »
a lot of firts there to be doing at once...but i commend ya for the effort. would you care to explain exactly what your having trouble with when your tillering,so maybe we/someone can help ya out. are you using a gizmo/straight edge to run under the belly to find your flat spots that need scraped? and what type of tree or stick are you using?

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:50:43 pm »
Blackhawk,i made me a gizmo and i am using a tillering stick from three rivers.i had a troublesome limb on this one.i also didn't have the best of tools.i was also a real greenhorn.i had to learn everything all at once.even chasing a ring.i learned alot on this bow.i was going back and forth with each limb and was losing weight quick.this was a definite learning bow for me.the next ones will be better.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:02:13 pm »
so sounds like just some more practice ;)...and how about making a tiller tree with a pulley,cable,and hook so its easier to stand back and exercise it, and be able to see your limbs bend better as well.

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:46 pm »
i am already working on the pully Blackhawk.thank you very much for the advice.i really appreciate it.it means alot.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:24:10 am »
Man, that is alot of firsts on one bow! The only thing I would say is to get the lower limb to try to match the upper limb if you could. Since it is sinewed, it would not hurt as much or take as much set if you tillered it a bit to match the upper limb. That will get that upper spot that is bending alot that everyone has pointed out to calm down a bit. Just removing a little bit of material on the bottom limb, then shooting it in a bit, and then tiller check. Over time that spot could give you alot of set especially if the bottom limb is a good deal stronger. Osage is a tough wood in compression and a dramatic bend in osage will not be "as" bad as in other woods would though, and osage can take it alot better than most any other wood could. I bet it shoots great though! I really like the braced profile of your bow. The snake skin looks great. I haven't skinned a bow ever. And if it shoots good now, just give that bow a good year of seasoning, and it'll have at least a bit more reflex/less set than is has now, and be pulling 55# - 60# @ 28", and it'll be spitting fire. Nice bow! You got me inspired steve, I need to go start breaking out the sinew myself...  :laugh:

EDIT: Having a tiller tree that you can step back and look at makes tillering so much easier. I use basically a giant version of the simple tiller tree's people use though. Although it doesn't have a pulley, it doe's make things alot easier, maybe just because it is sturdy and at eye level.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:28:41 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:37:20 am »
Nice looking curves on that bow there. Congrats in first yellow wood.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:29 am »
Nice job,love that yellow wood,if you get a chance post a un braced profile of that bow, it may be bending more than some think if it had a lot of reflex in the outer limbs. :) Congrats looking forward to seeing it up close. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »
here's the side pics pappy.
Middletown,Ohio