Author Topic: Interesting observation  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Interesting observation
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »
Last evening my wife and myself headed to town to go to the 13 anniversary of the gallery my wife belongs to. On our way in we past a farm with large fields along the road. As we got to the field we saw 2 deer break out of the woods at full run, heading across the field. The odd thing about it was the lead deer was a mature buck with full head gear(at least an 8pt) and a doe close behind him. A few seconds later another doe come from the same area at full out run.
  Why does this buck still have his antlers? Antler growth and drop are controlled by hormones with possibly the photo period having some effects. Bucks antlers begin to grow in early spring and continue to grow until late August or early Sept. At that time the testasterone levels in the buck rise, the antlers harden off and the velvet falls off. By mid winter most of the available does have bread, the bucks testasterone levels begin to drop and his antlers fall off. This usually takes place in January through February. It seems a bit late for a buck to still have his antlers unless he is the dominant buck in the area and there are still does either in heat or coming into heat. The main reason for this, IMO, is an uneven buck/doe ratio with way more does than the bucks can breed.
 We saw a similar situation in Cades Cove, in the Great Smokey Mountain Park a few years ago. It was mid March and the two dominant bucks still had their head gear, were still sparring with each other(although both were obviously worn out) and chasing hot does. Every other buck in the area had already lost their antlers and were totally uninterested in any of the does in heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Interesting observation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »
I think part of the problem is the negative 'stigma' of taking a doe during hunting season. I know the local 'hunters' I know really look down on someone that shoots a doe but think it is just fine to take a spike or fork horn buck. Then then complain that there are no real trophy buck around. I think you are right Pat. Poor guys are worn out with all the does.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »
I'm a trophy hunter in that I will shoot a trophy buck if it presents the opportunity.  ;) Other than that I will shoot the first deer that gives me a clean relaxed shot.  ;)
  When deer management began in earnest the main purpose was to get the deer herd back up to managable levels so does were off limits or heavily limited in how many could be harvested. That mind set was in place when I began hunting. It was the norm.
  Now the deer populations across the country at at an all time high in most areas. Proper management dictates that more does are taken out of the herd and fewer bucks, especially 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks. At one point about 90% of yearling bucks were harvested each year. Where does that leave the heard dynamics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »
Pat I believe you are correct......the buck doe ratio is really out of wack.  That could be a reason.  I have seen them down here with antlers still into March.  I will gladly shoot a doe over a buck any day.  Unless the buck is a monster.  I do not have the problem with shooting does.  I believe you should have to kill a doe before you could shoot a buck.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »
Interesting. I know that chemicals in the form of pesticide, fertilizers and then hormones in milk products, eggs, beef, chicken and pork are causing children to start puberty at way younger ages than in say even ten years ago. For girls puberty used to start at 14-15, but now it's 9-10 in many cases.

May be the same thing with deer. I hunt on a lease with a childhood friend. We grew up wen you could take a doe for every 50 acres of land you owned. He doesn't allow does to be shot and he hasn't ever shot a doe. You can't talk sense into folks like that either.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:32 pm »
Deer seem to be holding their antlers kind of late here too.  I, my son and freind nearby have been hunting hard and we have only found 1 shed. 

Saw 7 deer in field in front of house almost 2 weeks ago and 4 had both antlers and 1 had 1 antler....maybe other 2 had lost theirs already??

Maybe we are hunting hard ...for sheds...to soon. 

I'm the same trophy hunter as you Pat, but their are lots of hunters here that are just out for the trophy (BIG buck)!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:43:08 pm »
Pat I was told buy a f&g biologist that if a buck damages his "fun part's" that he can stay in horn nearly year round, you can take that for what it's worth, sometimes educated people aren't real smart ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »
He sure wasn't running like his fun parts were injured!  ;D

Offline GaryR

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
Who runs with injured "fun parts"?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:18 pm »
Who runs with injured "fun parts"?

Good point 8) Let me tell something to you.. Not me  ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:01:45 am »
his nut sack could have been injured and healed for some time, even years if it did permanate damage, i'm dealing with a bunch of comedians :laugh:, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:02 am »
Last thursday i saw a nice eight point with full head gear still on in front of my car just down the raod from my house,and he was with 4 does. And im further north up in PA,and i also havent seen or found a dang shed in the woods yet either. I also found that strange for the time of year

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:02 pm »
I talked about this yesterday w/ a buddy of mine who is really knwledgable about antler and antler development.  He saud that he had found one shed this year and seen several buck w/ full head gear last week on our road.  He was thinking that maybe it had something to do w/ the lack of winter we were having up here, but that wouldn't make since down where you are Pat.  We found a 155 eight point, both sides, two years ago in late December, but before Christmas.  That was a cold winter for us.  Strange how it's happening all over?  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Kpete

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »
I have seen bucks with antlers as late as April 1.  Surprises me too. But, hey, who am I to criticize.
Hard to say what might have caused the "rutting" like behavior.  May not actually be mating behavior.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »
I also heard that if a buck jumps a fence or something and damages/rips off his reproductive organs that it will cause him to keep his head gear year round.
Aim Small...Hit Small