Author Topic: Tree id help?  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Tree id help?
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »
This may be a hard one since none of the trees have leaves yet here in upstate New York, but I was wondering if anyone could help me to id this small sapling that has a pipe straight bottom trunk that is relatively knot free. I have made a quickie survival bow out of this wood before and have found that it is almost impossible to break... Take a stab at it...

Jon

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Tree id help?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »
Jon, what color is the wood; and is it mostly sapwood or dark core?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »
The wood is very white and is mostly sapwood with no visible heart wood...

Jon

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:15:02 pm »
It also has a thick cambium layer but once you get past the wood is very smooth with fine growth rings... I know for a fact that it is not any type of maple or oak.

Jon

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:21:24 pm »
Just looking a the bark with the greenish streaks in it I'd say striped maple ( Acer pennsylvanicum). Even though the trees have not grown their leaves yet they do have winter buds. It's often enough to ID trees in the winter.
cheers!
Quebec, Canada

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
I agree the bark does look like that of striped maple but from what I remember the leaves were definitely not maple... Any other guesses?

Jon

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »
It has a cottonwood look to it !
I cant tell for sure .
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »
thats a hickory sapling...i beleive its a shagbark,if not it might be a pignut sapling,but def hickory sapling

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:15 pm »
If your right blackhawk you just made my day!  >:D >:D Buck I know it is definitely not a cottonwood, based on its leaves.

Jon

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
What did the leaves look like ?
5-7 leaflets on a stem !
You said no heartwood so I did not think it was a hickory!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

UserNameTaken

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 10:25:34 pm »
I'm going with hickory.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
I would say also pignut hickory......it looks like that down here.  If not, it is a hickory of some sort.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 11:21:54 pm »
at approx 3" dia hickories wont have any discernable heartwood yet,and just a pith  of it. im pretty much 100% sure its hickory,by your pictures it looks just like a shagbark sapling.they dont get there shaggy(mature) bark untill there older and bigger. there is one way for you to tell for certain if its hickory,and thats to smell the wood once cut. hickory is very discernable to identify by smell. another give away is your quote of "impossible to break"  ;)

Offline jcrich01

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:28:56 am »
That really looks like a hickory sapling to me also.  If you take a close up photo of a twig with buds on it I could probably tell you what species.  If it has big thick hairy twigs and buds that are slightly wider than the twig that look kinda shaggy i.e. the scales look partly peeled apart, it is a mockernut hickory (Carya tomentosa).  If it has large hairy twigs and buds but the bud is about the same diameter as the twig and the scales are not peeling away (they will have already fallen off in early winter) then it is a shagbark hickory (Carya ovata).  If it has twigs that are average diameter i.e. about the same size as the other trees around it and has no hairs on the twig and buds then it is a pignut hickory (Carya glabra).  If it has two orangish yellow scales on the buds that are long and skinny then it is a bitternut hickory (Carya cordiformis).  There is another possibility but it is a species that only grows along streams so it is also likely not your hickory.  The bark makes me think it is not a bitternut but one of the other three. 
Hope this helps.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:38:53 am »
Sweet guys thanks for the info!

Jon