Author Topic: ERC time bomb  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

ERC time bomb
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »
Made a time bomb today.  Eastern red Cedar.  I put in the hours and chased the sapwood to roughly 3\8 inch thick and chased a single growth ring on the whole back..what a nightmare....but it can be done. just wanted an un-backed erc for myself so i left it 66" long and had it tillered really nice to  59# @ 26"   now I only draw about 25" keep in mind.   Pulled it back on the tree about 50 times and shot it about 20 times.  somewhere in the 20-30 shot area.KKKKKAAAAAAABBBLLLLAAAAAMMMMMMOOOOO.    No warning at all and no blemish in the wood at all. Completely random.  so when you think of a 2 1/4" wide cedar  66 long only being pulled to 25".....  It's a time bomb for sure......  you gotta back it if you want it to last...  I figured this might happen but I had to know for sure..lol  now i know.   sux cuz it was really beautiful.   it let go on my after my release, hit full draw fine but it exploded on the release.   so yes next time, i will back it with sinew....   but I had to try. I spent a lot of time tillering it out good too cuz i really wanted it to last...but nooooooooo.lol    dont try it, it wont work.lol

for what it is worth..pound for pound  it was one of the fastest bows I have ever made.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: ERC time bomb
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »
Too bad Ryan. Sounds liek you kinda had an inkling it may happen. With ERC it may happen quite often. Stick with that yellow stuff your so good at!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »
yup, it just felt like a time bomb..lol  but i was hoping...sinew from now on.  just need a 60# or better ERC for my collection..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »
Rawhide is a good backing for ERC.
  I had one go at full draw too a few years ago. Sure was cexciting!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:01:30 pm »
Yeah it was certainly exciting.  limb flew towards the target quite some ways.     i never liked the looks of backings, but sinew is about the only one that i can stand to look at.  rawhide, just doesnt do it for me for some reason..lol  im a finicky bird.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »
To each, his own!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:27:56 pm »
Sinewed that ERC that I am working on a few days ago. Glad I did. I may go ahead and do another layer just to be safe ::)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »
Dog Gone It!

Sorry to hear it.
But good to know, as I'll be harvesting some Big Old ERC off my Uncle's place this year.
I done got clearance... :)

Got plenty of Sinew and Rawhide on hand for just such an emergency.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
I woulda never been happy unless i tried one un-backed......but funny  how im still not happy.lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:55 pm »
ive thought about trying this in the dusty cobwebs of my mind,but then reality slaps me upside the head...i dont think i ever wanna try one unbacked.....sinew is def the best choice for this wood in my humble opinion. and i have the same feelings towards rawhide,it just doesnt do it for me either...and if im gonna add a backing i might as well take some extra time and get some extra performance out of it. yup...to each his own. glad your ok..thats the important part ;)

@keenan...i only put two courses on the last one i just did,and it worked great

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:02:34 pm »
The loudest explosion I have ever heard from a bow breaking was an ERC sinewed back bow that I made. I was lucky it was on the tree. That was my last try using ERC. Dean

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:07:07 pm »
That sucks! I made that same kind of time bomb about a month ago. Time bomb is right!! I think that bow ended up in at least 8 pieces as soon as I hit 27-28". >:( I've got one more piece, I'll be backing that one for sure!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:06:25 am »
ok so now we find the truths...lol        now the last one I made was sinew backed. in the BOM right now. Its still up and kicking well its 54# @ 28" and 70" long..lol  so it should be ok.
        I need a shorter one for my personal collection tho.  Im goin to sinew it and keep in mind I only draw 25.5" on a good day.  short short do you think I can safely go with a rigid handle and sinew at 60# @ 26"   next one I got up to bat is 64" long.   long enough you think?  maybe i should go back to a 66"one  like this one that broke, but sinew this time.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43:58 am »
Well I for one am apalled that no one on here has demanded pics we must have pics of the splinters to be able to fully sympathize with you're plight. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:26:23 am »
my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't, my erc won't blow, my erc won't,
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)