Author Topic: repair???  (Read 8308 times)

mikekeswick

Re: repair???
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:43:31 am »
He would also be risking it by just wrapping it ;)
I say go for it but go slowly! Give yourself a few hours and turn off phones etc so you don't get distracted.I actually did this on a friends bow that had been overdrawn and failed next to a pin knot. I managed to get it perfect and apart from the slightly different colour of the 'plug' the gluelines are perfect.It is more of a cabinet makers skill (hence I guess Dean having it on his website) but with patience/finesse/skill it's more than doable. Sharp chisel and a nice fine saw are necessities. Two steel edges also help to handy if you clamp them on the sides for depth gauges/reference whilst making the saw cuts.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:39 am »
Tried it all Eric here.

I used the roll over section of my belt sander to cut the dip for the patch, used the same belt radius to mark a piece of scrap for the plug, pretty easy to do.

Dean Torgus advises to not have a perfect, tight fit of ones plug and leave a small gap for urac in the glue joint.

The plug in the picture held up for three years of heavy shooting then the plug developed a cracked that spread into the limb and ended the bows life. I only used a spring clamps pressure to hold the plug in place while the glue set, pressure from a C clamp might give you a glue starved joint.

If it were me I would super glue, thread wrap repair method, much easier and a very good fix for this kind of problem.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:01:22 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:48 am »
Well i did surgery last nite, forgot to take pics.of the process  ::) tryd a square patch and i finally broke the seal of the can of urac that has been sitting around hope i got the ratio correct.first time with urac and reparing so cross your fingers hope after a 10good hours to leval off the patch. How long before i dare put strain on it?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:55 am »
24 HOURS
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:36 am »
Urac reaches it's maximum strenth in 48 hours.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:37 am »
Good. Glad it worked for you. Keep in mind that knots are weak spots in a limb and heavy reflexing is best left for pristine staves. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
Do i wait 48 hrs and try to stress it or grind it out and radius the corners?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:24 pm »
I have never waited more than 24 hrs with URAC with any project I used it for. Take it for what its worth.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »
So you ars saying it looks good enough to try

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »
Nope:)   But I am saying I always wait 24 hrs with URAC. I told you my fix idea already pal, Im not switching teams half way through the game!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:08 pm »
I hear ya pd.kust a little nervous about this project  :(

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »
I'm not an expert, but I Have done woodwork where you can't see a seam. From what I've read, and what I've done with gunstocks, it looks like your patch looks a bit small, gaps around it, and It appears to be a different wood.

the issue is that the glue, and different wood take pressure differently than the original wood. you can mitigate this by having an extremely thin, can't see with the naked eye, seam, and, at least with heavy recoil rifles, you always use the same wood. I've seen good stocks explode in the rear grip area when a different kind of wood is spliced in.

Because of that, I would be inclined to give the glue the time it takes to get to it's full strength. However long your particular glue takes.

JS
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
Sempertiger ...i have heard that to much, and to little of a glue line are noath killers in this app.i think this one is doomed eather way but i agree with you, thanks

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
it's never doomed till it breaks, imho :)

And, If it breaks, find something positive with the situation. One of the books i've read says you learn a lot from every bow you make, you learn a lot more from every bow you break.

Also, if you aren't happy with the repair, take your time and cut it out, then redo it. You always have room to repair till it breaks. If it comes out too light, chalk it up to a learning experience, or, do like PD's little experiment. glue a lam of a good compression strong wood to a flatened out belly and, if you desire, glue some kind of working backing, sinew or wood, to the back and retiller to your desired weight.

JS
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:28:09 pm by Sempertiger »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:16 pm »
Thos one is a little wavey /twisty to lam and i an happy with the repair just not the situation ...just a little gun shy