Author Topic: ERC ELB Question  (Read 4921 times)

Offline coaster500

ERC ELB Question
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
I'm getting closer to a string with this stave. It's over 6' long but only 1 1/4" mid limb to 1/2" tips. It has quite a bit of reflex at this point but it looks like it's going to be a really deep "D" cross section.

My questions are...

#1 Should I sinew this bow to insure less set? I was planning on backing it and wish the stave was a bit wider but this is what I have to work with?

#2 The 1/4 ish sapwood on the stave is perfectly flat aside from just rounding the corners...  is that the way it should be done?

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC ELB Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »
Coaster, I wouldn't use sinew on a bow that long. Too much work without the performance benefits of the sinew. A rawhide backing would give you protection and IMO is a good match for ERC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:41 pm »
Pat when should I back it...  at floor tiller or once it's on a string?

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »
With ERC, ASAP!  ;D  I'd do it now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Yup...pats got ya lined up for the best advice kip....that sapwood is just too nice to plane down and put a hardwood backer on it...I agree with the rawhide....man that's a super nice ERC stave ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
A bow of that design will not benefit from a sinew backing. Sinew works best with wider and flatter bows and recurves.
I agree, rawhide would be a good choice. Also, with an ELB type profile, I generously round the corners on the back. Sharp edges concentrate force.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:22 pm »
Sinew would definitely prevent it from lifting a splinter.  On a bow that length, even at a 30 inch draw length you would not actually begin "loading" the sinew, so it would add more weight to the limbs than it would add to the cast of the bow.  I agree with the others that very thin rawhide would be your best bet. 

Goa with goat, or antelope.  If you have a deer rawhide, the belly side will be the thinnest.  The backs of deer can be a little heavier than you might want.  In the P.A. Magazine classified advertizements there is a guy named Michael Foltmer out of Colorado and he sells really large antelope hides for about $40.  You can back about 6 bows for that price.  Or you can buy backing strips from him for about $20 if you don't want a whole hide. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
Well I'm 50@25...  got the goat rawhide wrapped in Ace...  we will see :)

Thank you

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »
Post pics when the bandages come off!  We wanna see her facelift!

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »
thats one of the best pieces of ERC I have everb seen!  Nice

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:42 pm »
Ditto, rb.  I didn't know ERC came without excessive character!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:25 pm »
It is a nice piece just wish it had been a touch wider but it's gettin close to a bow :) My last ERC got to a bow but I quit shooting it beacuse it was just to spooky....

The Mummy :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:34:40 pm »
Mummy dearest.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:26:56 am »
That's an amazing looking ERC stave, to be that clean for that lenght.  Really nice sap/heart ratio too.  It probably won't take much set.  ERC usually doesn't.  You'll either get it finished and turned into a bow, or it'll scatter itself randomly all about the room.  Kinda all or nothing with ERC.  That backing should help though. 

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »
This is weird??? When I left the bow to dry overnight from gluing up the rawhide it had a slight amount of reflex. This morning when I check on it the reflex was gone and I have a slight amount of deflex???

How is that possible?  Like I said weird!!!

Here's a picture after I trimed the hide... now we have some deflex???

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:07:00 pm by coaster500 »