Author Topic: rolling on the tree  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Blacktail

rolling on the tree
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:34 pm »
o.k. i havent had a bow do this to me yet so its the first...i am trying to long string tiller a bow..and i am using a string that has leather cups on the ends..when i get it on the tree and give my rope a pull the bow rolls out of the tree...and the handle is flat..so has any one had to use a C clamp to keep the bow from rolling off...thanks john

Offline osage outlaw

Re: rolling on the tree
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »
Are the tips lined up with the handle?  I've had one do that before I got the string centered up. 

Is it highly reflexed?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:10:31 pm »
I generally just use pieces of wood as a wedge to keep it from turning?? You may also consider using rubber bands to keep that string lined up on the tips of the bow....sure the wood is not twisted???

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »
Ive had that problem with reflexed bows even when the tips line up with the handle. They dont do it after they have a short string on them. One thing i started doing with highly reflexed bows instead of using the long string on the tree is hold the bow up by my ear and push on the long string with my other hand while sighting down the limb to look for even bend. Hope that helps.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:54:05 pm »
like okie said, reflex bows will want to turn on you, also check to see if you are pulling straight down on the tree and the string isnt being held out of center by your support. pics would be helpful as well. what are you making this one from?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:13:51 am »
thanks for the info guys..it does have some reflex..i would say about 2 inchs...and i do need to do some tip lining up..its a piece of vine maple..i have got it to floor tiller and can really feel the reflex in it....thanks john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:25 am »
Once you get to low brace the bow will settle in without rolling. Until then clamp the handle to the tree. That's what I do.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC