Author Topic: P.I.T.H. March 2012  (Read 72271 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: P.I.T.H. (Point in the hat)
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:54 am »
Where do I start?
What part of the country you in? Finding a local person to sit with is priceless. Also get or make yourself some tools, and start breaking rock, glass. Whatever you can get your hands on. But pay attention to how the breaks and flakes are going. You learn by doing.
There are some good learning vids on youtube. That will help. Online sources for tools.
Ask questions of the guys that know what they are doing (Hint, I ain't one of them!!)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:13 am »
Those two are awesome.  Thats what I want to learn to do.  How long did it take you guys to get to this level?  Where do I start?
Oh, and sorry for the off topic.

Which level?  There are lots of levels represented here and we all learn at different rates.  I'm not convinced I'll ever do some of the quality points that are churned out here all the time.  I hope so but I'm not so sure.  Heck, I just whacked my thumb with the mallet doing indirect percussion a couple days ago so hard it brought tears to my eyes.  You'd think after this long I could at least hit close to where I want. ::) ::) 

The important thing is to jump in and start working through the learning curve.  I've been at it almost exactly 11 months.  Bevan's right, sitting with somebody who knapps is huge and helped me a lot.  Can't wait to get more lessons this weekend.  At the end of the day you just have to break up about half a ton of rock to get the hang of it.  It sounds like a huge amount, but it happens a lot faster than you think, and at some point while doing it you'll begin to turn out points worthy of hafting up and launching at game.  One warning, it is horrifically addicting.  It has really cut back my bow building and I never thought that would happen.

And now, back to the PITH trade.  Great pictures guys. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:14 am »
Finally got the points finished,packaged and sent off. Whew !.....I gotta start learning to knap faster (And better)  Thanks for your support and patience Bubby and Tracy F.   I did get my work spot figured out and practiced a bunch by breaking dozens of pre-forms as well as some that didn't break. Gotta get next to some good knappers and watch.Hope to make the Goldendale,Wa.knappin.    Tower, thanks for the pressure thinning tutorial, It helped.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bubby

« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »
got two sweet point's from sparrow, oregon dacite, now i can finish up my shadow box from the trade, thank's Frank they are well worth the wait ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »
Looks good. scarry sharp!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2012, 12:32:34 am »
JThompson, I sent two, one was smaller.

Well I guess I missed it when I unpacked he package. I'm sure I've tossed the packaging now too. Dang that makes me feel like an idiot. Sorry about that Eddie.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:08 am »
Glad you like them Bub.  '  Frank

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
I got three really sweet points from nativenoobowyer86 today.  Man these babies are true hunting points, mid-100 grains in weight and sharp as heck.  Thanks abunch nativenoobowyer86.  Great job. dpgratz
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:59:39 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »
lucky guy DP, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »
Finally got the points finished,packaged and sent off. Whew !.....I gotta start learning to knap faster (And better)  Thanks for your support and patience Bubby and Tracy F.   I did get my work spot figured out and practiced a bunch by breaking dozens of pre-forms as well as some that didn't break. Gotta get next to some good knappers and watch.Hope to make the Goldendale,Wa.knappin.    Tower, thanks for the pressure thinning tutorial, It helped.  '  Frank
And here they are. Two great points from Oregon Dacite. Frank did a great job on them and I'm struggling to put the smaller point in the collection and not on a cane shaft! Thanks again Frank!

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:23 pm »
got points in the mail to day sweet.thanks mike cool points
bryan irwin

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:10 am »
Glad you like them Tracy. Don't know why you wouldn't haft it up and shoot it, (Thats what they're good for)  '  Frank

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2012, 10:32:42 pm »
Ayy - Finally got some points from some guy in Canada named Mike (BaldMoose). They are very nice. I will try to get some pics posted as soon as the server lets me post again. Thanks, will keep you in my prayers for the family issues.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #223 on: April 28, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »
Just wanted to take a minute to thank George for putting this together- well done and greatly appreciated! I really enjoyed it and all the participation. Thank you again George!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »
Well thank you Tracy, it really wasn't a big deal.

How are we doing?  Is anybody still waiting for points or have they all made their trip?  Some awesome points done here, I think everybody did good work. :)

George
St Paul, TX