Author Topic: need help finding the right spine  (Read 1832 times)

Offline jp gray

need help finding the right spine
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »
hi folks ,hope this is the right place to post this,
i have a mike yancey sinew backed osage with flipped tips 48#@28,i draw right at 27 3/4,what wood spine would i need ,28 1/2 inch arrow with 125 grain point ..thanks ..
john paul gray

Offline Scowler

Re: need help finding the right spine
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:12 am »
With bows that do not have center shot shelves I normally start with shafts which are spined around 5# under what I'm pulling.  For example: if I'm pulling 48# @ 28" then I would start with arrow shafts spined around 43# @ 29".  Some experimentation with shaft spine, shaft lengh, and tip weight may be necessary. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:01 am »
I shoot the same spined arrows from selfbows as I do equal glass bows. If I where in your shoes I would shoot 45-50 with 125 up front. I have found that a well built and tillered bow can shoot quite  a variance of spine. I have a few 50# osage flatbows that will shoot darts all the way from 45-70# spine shafts. Im betting Mikes bows will do the same. If your having arrow flight issues it rarely is hair splitting time with arrows, more like form tweeking time. I have no idea what experinece level you are at. Super loose bow grip and slightly relaxed bow arm elbow are key to good selfbow arrow flight in my book. Squeeze the grip a little and the arrow wags like a dog tail.  Grab some arrows you think should work and start dinking around with form.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:20 pm »
If you have arrows that you feel are over spined, you can leave them a little longer or add a heavier point and that will lower their spine value.  I used to cut my arrows to my draw length, but have stopped doing that so much.  I like shooting the longer arrows now.  When you break one @ the point you can always cut it down and still have room to repoint and come to full draw.  I've got some arrows that shoot to the right all the time, over spined, I aim left w/ them. ;) I just got some 145 grain blunts too, I'm hoping that helps.

Good luck and have fun, dpgratz 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »
Sinew bows are pretty much seasonally bows. So what works today may not work tomorrow. I'm a little surprised that folks will list a certain weight on their sinew bows without listing the conditions it was tested at. Try to get a handle on your bow's weight when the temps are cold/hot and in between. You may need to set up two different sets depending on how close the string is to center. Good luck......Art