Author Topic: Fibergalss Tape  (Read 12241 times)

Offline bow101

Fibergalss Tape
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
Whoooaaa.....finally found some fiberglass tape. Ya, here in Canadoo found it at Canadian Tire of all places.
List name is Filament tape. it's 1/2 inch wide.
Will be experimenting with it as a bow backing..! Any body tried this yet..? or had any sucess.?

What i plan on doing is giving the bow first a lite application of epoxy first then applying the tape, and a epoxy coat over top. I figure that a lite coating before applying will keep it on much better.
After the epoxy has set the tape will eventually peel off the wood, Thinking the self adhesive backing will not be strong enough..
What you guys Think..? ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline randman

Re: Fibergalss Tape
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »
On this site, that's the equivalent of the "F" word.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »
IF you want to use a f!bergl@ss tape backing, I would recommend this build along.
Epoxy does not sound like a good glue for the application. It may become too brittle on the back. But more importantly, epoxy is not UV-light resistant. That means it will degrade over time, being exposed to direct (sun)light! In normal applications, the glue joint is between two layers of light impermeable material. So UV light won't reach the epoxy. But in your case it will. So, don't use epoxy. Use a waterproof woodglue such as TiteBond.

There's better and more primitive solutions for the drywall tape backing. Rawhide, linen, flax fiber and sinew come to mind. Looks better too :)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
Should of known better. F-tape obviously is not a Primitive factor..!
Will remember for future :-\ posts.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »

I don't think Titebond would work in this application as the tape backing man made and water base glue would not be compatible. Thats my take on it.

IF you want to use a f!bergl@ss tape backing, I would recommend this build along.
Epoxy does not sound like a good glue for the application. It may become too brittle on the back. But more importantly, epoxy is not UV-light resistant. That means it will degrade over time, being exposed to direct (sun)light! In normal applications, the glue joint is between two layers of light impermeable material. So UV light won't reach the epoxy. But in your case it will. So, don't use epoxy. Use a waterproof woodglue such as TiteBond.

There's better and more primitive solutions for the drywall tape backing. Rawhide, linen, flax fiber and sinew come to mind. Looks better too :)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:51:37 pm »
With good board selection, you don't need a backing at all. A drywall tape may protect a bow from breakage or lifting a splinter, but it will certainly make a bow slower.

I tell you epoxy is not wise to use. You can be stubborn and use it anyway, but I trust Sam Harper on using TiteBond. He's not the only one using it for this application. Titebond is not water based, but polyvinylacetate based.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »
I'll try the Titebond....cheers  DarkSoul and thanks for your input.

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:48 pm »
i got the impresion you the OP was talking about fiberglass reinforced packing tape. There is a reference to the stuff in TBB V1 or V2. not sure which. as far as the epoxy, I would stick with TB2. follow Sam's guide if you insist on using it. As other's have mentioned, there are other, more attractive materials, linen cloth, jute twine, hemp twine, all could be applied with hide glue or TB2.

JS
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:52:24 pm »
Lots of other good backings out there to use besides that.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:09 pm »
You'll be wasting your time with that, bud.  There's no point in applying any epoxy or glue underneath, because it would just be bonding to the adhesive, not the tape.  You're right, the adhesive would come loose. 

There are so many better options, don't even bother with it!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:12 pm »
However if you do want to use glass cloth tape to back you do have to use Epoxy. UV is not an issue really in a bow and besides there is generally a UV inhibiting finish on a glass bow anyway.
 Glass lams are set in Epoxy.
 You are better off  discussing this on the 'other' boards though.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:33 pm »
Silk,  burlap, linen, and rawhide are good natural backings probably ranking in that order. I've never used f...ff...fff ...I can't say it...tape but the above backings install  fairly quickly. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:07 pm »
PatM - What you said is true, but I think what he is referring to is actual plastic tape, reinforced with fiberglass, with adhesive on the back.  I think it would be a disaster, myself.  Georges suggestions are the way to go!

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
If you MUST use F#$#%@&$&, Use tbIII, Youtube boarriorbows, he does a build along, but I would reccommend using ANYTHING ELSE!!!! I used brown paperbag on my first and it worked great!, used silk on another and it is awesome!.

Listen to Jawge...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 01:33:49 am »
I used epoxy to glue on some FG cloth onto a bow to save it. then covered it with a snakeskin print cloth. Worked just fine.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.