Author Topic: Primitive Bandsaw  (Read 7432 times)

UserNameTaken

Re: Primitive Bandsaw
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:48 am »
That would be so much fun to play with. I wonder how it cuts.   :o There's another old one on ebay right now that's super cool, but it's $5000.

How much did you pay for that one?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 05:25:03 am »
Gotta fab some blade shields so the little beauty slips the blade,It won't cut some valued appendage off.   The 1st instruction I ever got ,the instructor cut an inch off the end of his thumb, (7th grade wood shop) Made a lasting impression.  I am hoping to set up a bow making area incorporating my old barn and some additional (not yet constructed ) covered area, (ala Pappys place) Anywho,this oughta be handy.  '  Frank
I bet he didn't do the same demonstration evry year >:D
Man, that's not a bandsaw, that beauty is a work of art ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 05:59:58 am »
Cool saw!
Some sheet steel and a bit of welding needed in my opion. Like the others have said if/when the blade comes off the wheels or snaps you don't want to be anywhere near an open saw :o

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »
Last patent date is 1905. According to what I find on the net.  It was made between 1905 and 1915.  I had it going yesterday for a bit. Didn't cut any wood,but she ran smooth as silk. Need a couple new blades,new tires,cleaning and lube. I looked at some various pictures posted and came up with a drawing for shields. I will do some work with it and hopefully cut some wood in about a week.
Username,I had to hand the guy 5 Franklins (Couldn't walk away)
Thanks Del   Shop teacher did okay   Thumb tip was dug out of the sawdust and the thing got re-attached and he healed up.
I ran one as big as this in a wood shop down in South Carolina when I was in my teens.Neighbor had it in his shop and was building furniture for sale. A big band is a beautiful thing to cut with.    '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
Please keep us updated on its rehab back to life.  I would love to see a video of this thing running once you get it done.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 12:37:05 pm »
That's a cool looking saw. Let us know how she works.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »
I had to hand the guy 5 Franklins (Couldn't walk away)

Man, that is a super deal!! Way to go. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline randman

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:25:04 pm »
That's a cool ol saw. Ditto what everyone else said about some sort of enclosure for the wheels and blade. Don't know what the blade guides look like on that thing but I will pass along a tip I got from my wife's grandfather who was an engineer at Boise Cascade sawmill in Yakima from the teens to the late 50's. In those days, the giant Bandsaws (14" wide blades) they used to saw logs that were 8' across were pretty much made by hand on location and one of a kind. His job was to keep those things running so I asked him what they used for blade guides. Blocks of Lignum Vitae was the answer. Same thing they used to use for soles on some old wooden planes. The natural wax/oil in the wood is a perfect self lubricant. I replaced the square metal guides in my little 14" jet bandsaw with lignum vitae and they have worked perfect since (20 years). I've never replaced them and I can pinch them tight to the blade without wearing out the blade or the guide (something you can't do with the metal guides).
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »
Frank, that 1hp motor produces 1hp as soon as the juice hits it. Most 1hp electric motors today say they will produce 1hp. I'll take the old ones any day. We had an old shoe finishing machine in my leather shop in Savannah, the ones that has sanding wheels, buffing wheels etc along a 8' long single shaft. It had a 1hp motor that i could not pick up. It took that thing 30 seconds or better just to stop after turning the juice off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »
Very cool...I really like it.  8)

What length blade will you need??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!