Author Topic: Heat straitnin question  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Heat straitnin question
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:49 pm »
Workin on my trade bow today,,Its a pecan (pee-con) stave, I needed to straitin one limb,I got it hot(heat gun) pulled it a little more than where I needed it and clamped it in place. How long should I leave it there?? I dont have much experience at heating. Right now its in the 60s,100% humidity  if that matters.  ???
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Heat straitnin question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »
I leave mine clamped over night.  Some people just leave it until it cools off.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:50 pm »
what do you guys use to straighten it? Besides a fork in a tree  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
clamps and a form for reflex/treating/lateral straightening.  for twists i attach a clamp onto the limb and hang weight from a string or rope while on the form to avoid changing the reflex.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »
2 small 2x4"s on a bench then use a clamp to pry the wood at the bend...slightly overbend it it will try to spring back.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »
For straightening I use a 4"x4" piece of fiberglass angle about 5 1/2' long.  It's lightweight but plenty strong enough to clamp a bow to.  I bent a couple of pieces of aluminum flashing to fit over it.  I slide them wherever I want to heat the bow at.  It helps to reflect the heat into the wood.  I used to just clamp the bow in a vice and hang a weight from it.  With the piece of angle, I've cut the heating time by more than half and I can make more precise corrections.   

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »
Thanks outlaw,,Its been a few hours now,ill try it and see.  I clamped it the vise and pulled it with a bar clamp against a 2x 4 screwed to the workbench
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »
i cant even picture you guy's setups.  Guess i'll stick to the fork in the tree  :laugh:

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »
i cant even picture you guy's setups.  Guess i'll stick to the fork in the tree  :laugh:

Here is my set up