Author Topic: Another Newbie!!!! With a shorty  (Read 3205 times)

Offline ssgtchad

Another Newbie!!!! With a shorty
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:10:07 pm »
I've been trolling on here for a while and I must say you folks are talented! Now it's time to jump in and try something of my own. So what I have is an experiment in bowyershipthingyyism (real word...true story) ;D. I don't have any seasoned staves but I did have this warped propeller twisted mess of Osage orange that was a little on the short side So I decided that I would practice some skills until I do. I finally ended up with a steam bent, dflex/reflex with a rawhide backing work of art......just saying! . She's 52" long, 45" ntn, and pulls 31.5lbs at 28". I'm kinda proud of the result. My first bow,  No power tools were used and I made my own hide glue.... sorry about the crock pot dear! oh and the pretty yellow dots all over the new white stove from the steaming...... that I have since removed. But here it is I am open of critique or suggestions. The is Tiller finished... i think, still needs sanding and a handle, I'll add pictures later. Thanks   GO RANGERS!!!!!
Always learning something new.

blackhawk

Re: Another Newbie!!!! With a shorty
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:03 pm »
good first effort..id like to see an unbraced pic from the side view to better judge your tiller...but from what im seeing now you could have gotten a lil more bend up in the fades up towards the handle...but since its osage and your first then just leave it as is and learn what you couldve done better and make another,and shoot the snot out of it and enjoy it for what it is

and 55" long but 45"ntn...huh ???

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
She's 52" long, 45" ntn, and pulls 31.5lbs at 28".

Not looking too bad, but please recheck your figures.  It looks like a stiff handled bow.  For your first bow, reaching a 28" draw within 45" ntn of a non-working handle bow is nearly impossible unless it is sinew backed, and even then quite a feet.  Also, if it is 45" ntn, that would mean that you have approximately 3-1/2" of limb tips beyond each nock.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
Thanks for your service SSG Chad. Your bow looks pretty good for a first of fifth. I agree with BH, get them fades moving more next time around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »
Yeah.... apparently proof reading and measuring are not my strong points lol sorry guys. The bow is 51" ntn ....As far as the draw, putting it on the tree with a 6.25" brace measured from the back of the bow its 28" here the pictures. Thanks for the input 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:50 pm »
Yeah, very nice, but she's tillered a tad square* like the other guys have said. A bit more circular would take some of the stress ooff the limbs and help avoid too much set.
Great job for a first bow tho'
Del
* E.g You could sort of draw a square rather than a circle over the pic of it on the tiller.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:43 pm »
Thats crazy bent...................Osage is king.....long live the king.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »
Del the Cat.... its suppose to be round!!!! well hell
Yeah its some bending stuff

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »
That's some amazing bend there Sgt. Great first bow (or 10th or whatever) Welcome to the addiction.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »
That is pretty darn good one for a first!! :)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:19 am »
Good first bow! I gotta get me some osage for sure... :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
Its finished!!!! Got the handle wrapped with saddle leather straps, And a dark mahogany minwax on the belly. The white rawhide backing didn't take the minwax, so I just used black leather dye. Its not real pretty, but it shoots as well! Here the finished product. And I've already started another one.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:38 am »
Those law-breakers better watch their backs, or they might find an arrow sticking out of it. :laugh: :laugh: >:D
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 01:06:11 am »
i think you are doing great.keep it up.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline randman

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:25 am »
Great job Sgt! Yeah yer definitely addicted now. Looking at your pics again I noticed the pile of staves you got started in the corner of your patio ;D
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.