Author Topic: unfinished yew elb..full draw pic  (Read 8238 times)

blackhawk

unfinished yew elb..full draw pic
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »
heres a fine specimen of pennsylvanian yew i got bent over tonight for ya guys. its also my first yew bow. my scale maxes out at 85 pounds,and its 85@26". the photo here is it being drawn to 30". so im guessing its at least 100@30". the bow is 71"ntn. i tried drawing it and im a wuss and cant get it all the way back to 30 yet.  :-[...maybe my buddy rob(pahunter) can draw it and shoot it tomorrow when he comes over for another lesson...hes a strong lad. im extremely humbled and amazed and have the MOST respect for guys drawing and shooting these things....anyways here it is on the tree at 30"

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: unfinished yew elb..full draw pic
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »
Ok, a question 1st...do you EVER sleep Chris???  Sheesh, you mass production builders leaves me feeling so lazy and inadequate!!!

On to the bow...WOW, Blackhawk is in the house with a War Bow!!!  Congrats buddy!  Can't wait to see some pics of you at full draw with it  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:23:45 pm »
Very nice strong. Bow there ;) If you decide to put tip overlays on it let me know and I can send you some mesquite or a wild. boar hoof.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »
Man that is a sweet bend you have there. But if that bad boy lets go your heat ducting is going to be toast for sure.LOL :o

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:37 pm »
Great looking Tiller!  I have broke a few on the tree and I know one of them would have taken out that
duct for sure!  Awesome bow!

Jamie

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:06 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous bow, some day I would love to tiller an ELB.

Kyle Snow

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 11:53:37 pm »
also should mention at the arrow pass its 1 1/4 wide by 1 1/4"....yeeeesh

lee...you already know the answer to that question  8)...and thanks for the compliment,and it might be awhile before i can muster up the stregth required to pull it.

thanks cipriano...ill think about your offer..i just got wenge overlays on it right now and not sure if ill leave em or do something else to them...i still need to reduce the ends and tips down before i "try" to shoot it.

thanks keenan...oh i know...it crossed my mind and dont care if it does....i use to work hvac and its an easy fix if it goes  ;D

thanks jboyd...yikes...i cant imagine one of these things going boom

thanks ksnow...it was fun to make n tiller,adn im sure one day youll get to feel the same thing ;)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:54:47 pm »
that's an amazing bow, but as you can probably guess im a sucker for a yew warbow, if you ever want to get rid of it let me know >:D ;)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:20 am »
Now I'm just jealous!  I don't like you anymore Blackhawk ! >:( ;) ;D. Of course , you could ease the animosity by sending that bow my way >:D.  Seriously though, that is FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!  Josh

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:09:24 am »
That is a beautiful tiller. I dont figure ill ever build a bow that heavy. Ive built a few 70 pounders and they scare me more than enough.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:17:17 am »
It does not look like a blackhawk bow !
It causes me much pain just to look at it !
The only ting to go boom wood be me , so please keep it away from me !
Good job my friend !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:39 am »
That is sweet I want to shot it I think I can lol I will send you my 96 pound at 28 to help you build up your mus lol you build some sweet bows I love it I am glad we meet take care my freind build more bows
Old timber bows

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:17:32 am »
Holy crap man that thing looks sweet!!!  I mean really sweet!  The tiller looks awesome!  Heck ya I'll shot it!!  As for being strong; yes I am but after 2 back surgeries I'm cautious as well.  and If you think I'm strong you should see my brother, he has a good 50# on me and a few inches.  I'm the "little" one.  :)  We'll let some wood soar tomorrow!  ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:49 am »
Really nice tiller.
I'd have thought that at 71" long it may take some set if it's used at over 30" draw.
Mind I gotta admit I do love to see a bow working hard and making that nice full compass curve.
Great bow.
Keep doing the exercises! I managed to work up from 70 to 90# over two weeks of exercise, but it's the finger,shoulder and elbow joints which stop me going further. If I was 30 years younger I'd be be doing it (and drawing heavy bows ;))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:26 am »
Sweet,very nice bend you got going on,Love looking at it but that's as far as I go. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good