Author Topic: knotty questions  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Matt A

knotty questions
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:59 am »
well I have a stave that I still need to straighten and I ran into another dilemma, this 64 inch sapling stave has a 1/4" knot less than an inch from the end.
Cut it off or make things interesting with the knot in place. wood is hop horn beam.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: knotty questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:54:17 am »
Matt, that area of the limb is non working so the knot is only decoration and should not be a problem. I guess this does depend on the knot. Got any pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:56:47 am »
sorry i don't how do you put pics on here?
the knot was cut off by a chainsaw however many years ago so there's possible checking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:48:56 am »
Up to you ,but it shouldn't cause a problem in that part of the limb. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt A

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:01:33 pm »
thanks! K on this particualar stave i rubbed oil on it and heated with my heat gun and clamped untill completely cool last night trying to straighten it. and that last knot section doesn't seem to want to cooperate any tips?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
thanks! K on this particualar stave i rubbed oil on it and heated with my heat gun and clamped untill completely cool last night trying to straighten it. and that last knot section doesn't seem to want to cooperate any tips?

Are you trying to make the correction in the section of limb with the knot?  If so, cease and desist with utmost haste! 

Instead, make the correction in an area with plain grain and you will have much better luck.  Knots are often filled with resinous sap and can be just plain brittle. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »
Knots are only a problem if you make them one. And they add detail to the bow.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:42 pm »
Have you gotten the bow to low brace height yet?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »
thats another thing should i just cut it down to my bow profile now or when i have it straight/cut that last bit off? cause i still have it as just a split in half sapling stave

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »
Two schools of thought:
1) Cut your stave to avoid knots and oddities in the grain
2) Cut your stave to include as much character and bad grain and bad knots as possible

Which school of thought are you following?  Next, how long is the stave?  Then, how long do you want/need the bow to be?  Lastly, got pictures?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:46 am »
well in this case choice #2 would work best cause it's narrow, and the stave now is 67 inches. If i cut off that knot i'm dealing with 61 inches. btw my draw is 29-30 inches.  ::)

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:51 am »
Matt get a photobucket account and upload your pics then simply copy the pics Img. Code and paste it in your post then we'll be able to see your pics. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done. And people will be able to help you better along the way. Good luck, Mike

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:04:23 am »
Here are 3 pictures of Matt's stave.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Matt A

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:52:13 am »
thank you for doing that !  ;D i heated that end and clamped it for about a half an hour at a time 3 times tonight. slowly but surely it's working

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 01:21:46 pm »
I just finished a bow with a knot at the end of the limb similar to yours. I just left a bit more wood around the knot and being in a non working area it worked out fine. I would not cut your stave down with a 29/30 inch draw if it were me. The only problem was building a string so the bow could be strung pushing the string over the bottom limbs nock not the top (just changed the serving).... 

another bow Chittam Wolley Buckthorn stave was chuck full of knots!!!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:31:41 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)