Author Topic: Two pc takedown Question  (Read 7360 times)

Offline coaster500

Two pc takedown Question
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:21:42 am »
Ok I traded for some nice Osage billits and purchased some hardware from three rivers and have a question...  In all the buildalongs I've seen the hardware is one steel sleeve and a brass insert sleeve. In the builds I have found it seems that the brass sleeve is cut in half so you end up with three pieces?

My question is why wouldn't you just fit one end of the bow into the steel sleeve and then fit the other with the brass sleeve so that the butt ends of both limbs would touch in the center of the steel sleeve? I guess I am having a hard time understanding why you would want three pieces when pulled apart instead of two?

The finished two piece would look like this? right?

Curiosity of Gordon...  and I don't know if his is three pieces or not but it is beautiful...

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Stefan

Re: Two pc takedown Question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:50:50 am »
If I am correct 3rivers only supplies a steel fitting and a brass fitting nowadays, they used to supply a steel fitting and two half brass fittings.

I would definetly go for the 2 piece setup. Less (moving) parts, easier to use and less work. If you use 2 brass sleeves and 1 steel one you have to fit the softer brass on both pieces, if you have to tap them in places with say a small hamer and a piece of wood there is a chance it could deform.

I have little experience with take downs and would wait for someone else to chime in. Just my opinion....
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:47:07 am »
I glued the brass to both Osage billits and the steel to the bottom limb brass. I think I have a build along somewhere or at least a follow along. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline broketooth

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:15:10 am »
coaster, the sleeve set up you have is the one i prefer. just put it together. dont fix the one limb to the sleeve yet, not until you figure out which limb will be the top limb.
once you figure that out you can permenantly affix the top limb to the steel sleeve. get a 3/16 brass rod. drill a hole through the steel sleeve and brass butt. you do this when the upper limb is installed in the steel sleeve. take the brass rod and drive it through the hole and peen both ends with a hammer and file smooth. when you take the bow apart to put in your quiver it is now weather proof . no chance of moistur getting into the end grain of the brass butts. rv

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:24:35 pm »
Thank you for the compliment Coaster. That particular bow utilized the 3-piece variant of the take-down sleeve.
Gordon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »
Can I ask why Gordon the three piece?

Thanks Pappy, Rudy and Gordon... I was just trying to understand the reason someone would cut the brass into two pieces rather than just using the the steel for one limb and the brass for the other which seems like the stronger, simpler connection, or maybe not?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »
Pappy I can't find your build? Do you remember what you called it?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »
Coaster, I used a 3-piece because that was what was shipped to me from 3-Rivers at the time. Since then I have ordered a couple more and they are 2-piece. I can't think of any advantage one way or another between the two types.
Gordon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
Thank you Gordon that makes total sense...  I just could figure out why :)

Thank you

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »
A side note...  I used to own a 54# Lightning Longbow and it had a system that was pretty cool and other than a steel pin for alignment and a pivot point it was all made from wood without a sleeve. The bow was assembled by slide the pin into the whole of the oppsite limb while holding the two at a 90 degree angle. Then just straighten the limbs and string the bow!! It was pretty cool but way beyond my skill level :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »
When I did my takedown, 3 Rivers sent me 2 brass sleeves and the 1 steel sleeve. I didn't understand so I emailed them a question.  They responded to discard 1 brass sleeve and use the steel on the top limb and the brass sleeve on the bottom limb. That's what I did and it worked great.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:10 pm »
Its at the top of the build along page. Hope that helps. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »
It did Pappy thanks ,,,

Got started and squared the ends of the billits..  penciled out the bow and grip section and we are off and crawling :)

Just waiting for the epoxy to set...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:03 am »
Looking good.I love take down's,I need to make another,been talked out of the others I have built. :( ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
I had the very same question, and I decided to just pitch one of the copper sleeves and do a 2-piece arrangement.  I made this one 5 years ago, and it's still my go-to hunting bow.