Author Topic: Off the wall question to everyone.  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Tower

Off the wall question to everyone.
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:06:18 am »
This may seem like a pointless question to some, but others may not agree. HOW MANY KNAPPERS ARE OUT THERE? I've heard there are anywhere from 3000 to 10000 world wide. Its something I've always wondered. Knapping is in my opinion the true first profession not the other more accepted first profession. After all the man that could put food on the table I would think attracted wemon.  Just a thought . Knapping is said to go back 1.5 million years. In the Archaeological contex. Remember hebrews were circumcized with knives of stone. Think about that the next time you knap a point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Off the wall question to everyone.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:09:26 am »
I think you would have to define 'knapper'. I like to try, but I do not think of myself as a knapper.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:38 am »
Is that like asking someone to define the word IS? Knapper someone who fashions tools from stone through the reduction sequence. Percussion & pressure. Skill not a factor.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:11 am »
That is a good dif. I would think the numbers you quoted seem low. I have been to gatherings in West Nebraska that had a dozen people making serviceable tools. And this is a low populated area.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:20 am »
Never really gave it much thought.......till now.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »
First of all, ooooouch!!! with circumcision thing :-*. I personally know of at least 12 folks that knap and don't attend any organized events or forums, which makes me wonder just how many people knap as a whole. This is an interesting topic and would be interested in an educated estimate, if it is possible.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline elremolino

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:50 am »
Don--I have heard 7,000 to 10,000 here state side. I don't have a clue to the accuracy of that estimate. I do know that I sale rock and points to folks in pretty much every state, annually so I am guessing that the number is fairly high. I would be willing to guess that there at least 120 knappers in most every state, if not more, so the total goes up fairly quickly.

It is for this reason I think it would be pretty neat if we could have a national knap-in, somewhat centrally located here in the US. Could you imagine all the rock, points, fun and lies. It would be a blast!!!!

Kinley

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »
Anybody need a circumcision,, hell, I'll give it a shot. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:50 pm »

As a moderator on this forum, I would think you would be the last person to make such a cutting remark.  Shame on you.

(Would you charge for this service or only take....wait for it....tips!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:49 am »
Eddie, you're a very generous and giving individual, but I will politely decline! :o

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:21 am »
[(Would you charge for this service or only take....wait for it....tips!)
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I bout fell outa my chair on that one!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:28 am »
I had some time before work today and went by Glen Black lab on the IU campus, they have a knapping pit there.  I didn't too much knapping, but worked on some hazel arrows w/ flakes.  A guy stopped and we talked and he ended up being an abo reproduction knapper for the lab.  Named Ed.  He told me that 50% of the "artifact" collections that are brought into the lab for, value estimations, or donation are contemporary, ...reproductions.  He also said that a couple of guys did a study and bought over a 1000 "artifacts" from an online auction, e..something, some w/ papers of authenticity and 87%!!...87% were reproductions.  This is coming from a guy who reproduces for a living at Indiana University.  Real cool guy, into the atlatl, happy to have me there.  Looks like there's a lot of flakin goin on out there.  I also showed him some of my points and he said that it looked like I needed to strengthen my plate forms better.  He also said that if you can lift a flake off a piece w/ your thumb nail that it hasn't been laying n the ground for 1300 years.  ;D  It was a good day, dpgratz 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
JW, if you had enough do you think you could back a bow with them?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »
I hear they use "them" for eye lid replacements.  Make you a little cockeyed, though, I hear.  :o  :o  :P dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »
Sorry Tower, this thread got hijacked.
Lakeland, Florida