Author Topic: It Shoots!! first bow *NEW-pics*  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: It Shoots!! first bow *Pics*
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:04 am »
I would say, glue the crack, put a longer string on it. Keep it as your first. Learn from it. Hide the saw from your dad. >:D
Start on your next 2 or 20.
How long is that string on there now. I want to measure it against the one I just did. I want to make sure I am a solution, not making it worse.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:38 am »
Okla, yes, a heat gun will work to flip the tips. Osage becomes very plastic(pliable) when heated. You may have to adjust tiller after you flip the tips. You will also be adding more stress to the limbs because the limbs will be bending more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:04 am »
Hey man, that osage looks better than my first osage. I like it. I am in tulsa by the way, if you are in the area we could meet up and do some shooting :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:27 am »
I am far from an expert so i ask the pros ...what if he took some depth from the handle so it takes some bend will it help at this point?that would be with flipping the tips e er so slightly. Might help get to 28"and relive some stack or no??? I would love to find out :D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:03 am »
Great job for a first bow and gratz for doing it with a stave!  I'll mostly defer to the more experienced advice already given on here.  There appears to possibly be a hinge in the lower limb.  If so, you may want to remove some wood from elswhere to lessen that.  Unless you have lots of snake skin you may want to throw some linen and tight bond III on there instead and save the snake for your next one, which will likely be quite impressive.  Congratz on completing your first, the hard part is done!   ;D
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:27 am »
Congrats on your first,nothing quite like the first. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
Changing the brace height will not effect the string angle. The only way to address that is to flip the tips a bit and that will lessen the string angle at full draw. That bow looks a little short for 28" draw.
  Nice first bow Okla.

How is it that the brace height does not affect the angle of the string? Maybe I am confused about what exactly the string angle is. To my understanding it is the angle between the tip of the bow and the string. It starts small at brace height, and gets larger as you draw causing a loss of leverage and stacking. Is that right?

Based on that I can't see how its possible for brace height and string angle to be unrelated. If you lower the brace height, you would be bending the limbs less at brace which should cause a lower string angle than a higher brace due to the difference in limb bend. If you still only draw to 28", the angle should be smaller than a higher braced bow @ 28" due to the smaller brace string angle. Granted, brace height wouldn't have the dramatic affect on string angle that flipping the tips does, but it should still be a factor (that is if I am correct in what I think string angle is).

Could you explain?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:27 pm »
Slackbunny..I think what Pat B is talking about is that string angle is the angle at the point where the arrow is nocked at the string at full draw.Super first bow Okla-archer.One to remember.Now you will see how your bow making will change.Be forwarned it's very addictive with the next bow always going to be better....LOL.Flipping tips and getting it to work more into the handle will solve your stacking issue.You might have to lighten up your tips then to reduce your handshock the way I see it.Old hedge can handle some scary narrow tips fron what I've seen and done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
Okla-archer,from looking at your crack there again,looks like to me that's a laminar crack where your growth ring is collapsing some.I've had that too on a bow.About an inch and a half long and did get it stopped with super glue.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »
Bevan said he was gonna send me a longer string so Im waiting to put that on. Ive scraped a bit from my lower limb near the handle.  I believe that hinge is being cause by a knot that is right below that bend. Ive put thin CA in the crack and ill see how it holds up.  I shot two arrows from it the first time I strung it and it surprised me how fast it was.  I'm itching to shoot it again....

And yea I've already starting thinking about the next one :)  Ill post my idea up in the next day or two.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »
I will mail your sting out at lunch today.  ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »
Nice first! Keep them coming!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
Congrats, tough stave for a first, well done.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »
I started with compound and working my way backwards.. I like the challange

FYI, thems fight'n words round here ;)  We consider it a move FORWARDS, and them wheels on the compounds we call training wheels >:D

Just ribn ya! good job on your first, nothing like letting the first arrow fly from your first handmade bow! 

As per the string angle, your question can be answered by a couple of pics.  One at 28" with high brace, one at 28" with low brace, and you'll see the string angle will be pretty much identical (yes, between string and limb).  You can kind of think of a high brace as the bow being "predrawn" for some of the draw length.  The only change in string angle is as measured at brace.

I agree with the others:  flip those tips!  It'll help with stacking and look even sweeter!

Good luck and welcome!

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »
by moving backwards of course Im refering to more difficult or backwards in time :)  compounds bows are cheating. My goal would be to do everything by hand with all natural materials and kill something with a stone-tiped arrow. 8)