Author Topic: It Shoots!! first bow *NEW-pics*  (Read 6781 times)

Offline Okla-archer

It Shoots!! first bow *NEW-pics*
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »
This is my first traditional longbow. It was made from a nice piece of Osage that has a decent amount of character to it. I do have some concerns that I was gonnna see if you guys could help me out with. I would appreciate any advice I can get.

The bow starts to stack right around 24" and my draw is 28'.  I'm not exactly sure how to correct this (where to remove wood).

I also violated a right about 6inches from one of the tips.  I plan on backing this bow with snake skin so i'm not sure if that will be sufficient. if not should i work it to around the handle area or take it all down to one ring.  (the bow is ~45lbs right now)

there are a few hairline cracks that came with the drying process and are in precarious places that make me worried (last picture).  they don't seem to open up when I draw it. I've added some CA glue to it.  is that good enough?

Does my tiller look okay?

sorry for not having a clean background.  this also about the distance where it starts to stack.

ring violation

small crack near the handle

Thanks for looking and any advice or criticism  is welcomed,

Okla-archer
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:44:09 pm by Okla-archer »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: It Shoots!! first bow *Pics*
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:37:18 pm »
Lower you brace height to 5 3/4" from the back of the grip to the string. Your bottom limb needs to bend more from the fade to mid limb. Yoru top limb looks nice. That ring violation wont hurt a thing. Fill that crack with thin super glue until it wont take anymore. Dont brace otr draw that bow anymore until you get a few tune ups done to it. You will only hinder future longevity and performance. Not a bad bow for numeral uno.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:14 pm »
Congratulations on you bow! Pretty challenging stave. Do lower the brace height as PD recommended. That lower limb looks to be hinged just past midlimb but I cant tell for sure because the bow might have a crook in that area.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:42 pm »
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure on the string length so that's what the guy gave me.  the brace height seemed to be a bit long to me too.  hopefully he'll let me trade it out for a bit longer string or I can maybe do some trading for a Flemish twist from someone on the site.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:50:25 pm »
What length is your bow? Nock to Nock?
PM me your address and I will twist a string up tonight an mail it out tomorrow. Do the glue deal and it should be dry by the time you get your string.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »
Nice first! Feels good dont it! Look forward to seeing more from ya. There is a formula for strings I believe for a finished string you measure knock to knock and subtract 2 inches. Bevan will get you set up and then you can adjust your brace height by twisting your string to make it shorter or longer. Nice offer Bevan :)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:08:20 pm »
That is extremely nice of him!
 thanks for the complements.  I guess it was worth cutting down that tree in my neighborhood park when I was 15.  The traditional bowyer's bible was a good resource.

joel

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:41 pm »
Great job on your first bow!  Do the corrections that were suggested and that should be a dandy!  Josh

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »
Nice looking bow, and quite a challenge for a first timer, but you've done really well with it.

If you've read the Bowyer's Bible you might remember the part about stacking being the result of the string angle getting larger and therefore giving you less leverage to pull the tips, which makes the draw weight feel much heavier than the true weight. By decreasing your brace height you will decrease the string angle throughout your entire draw and it won't stack so much. That should make it much smoother to draw, your measured draw weight will go down but a lot of that will be the stacked weight and not the true weight so you won't lose much arrow speed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:37 pm »
Changing the brace height will not effect the string angle. The only way to address that is to flip the tips a bit and that will lessen the string angle at full draw. That bow looks a little short for 28" draw.
  Nice first bow Okla.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:35 pm »
Cool, feels great watchin that first arrow fly!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline SA

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »
you made your first bow not to many people can say they did that , you do realize there will be more right :D
good have another okie on here what part of oklahoma?
Shawn Acker

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
I think Pat is right (suprise suprise ;D). 58" NTN is really pushing it for that drawlength with a stiff handle. You might get 25 or 26.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:58 pm »
that was a nice offer Bevan.good on you brother,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:18 am »
I had to make a few sacrifices  on the length. my dad thought it looked like good firewood at one point so it got a bit shorter than I wanted.  If i use a heat gun can I reflex the limbs a bit? is this going to affect my tiller? or should I just deal with it and correct for these errors on my next bow  ;) ?

to sa, I go to OSU right now so i live in Stillwater but i'm about to move back to OKC looking for a geology job.

I plan on making many more bows.
I'm familiar with laminated bows.  I've made a few take-down recurves out of cocobolo and some zebra wood. I started with compound and working my way backwards.. I like the challange